girl in canoe paddling in a pond

Field Studies/Study Abroad Registration Information and FAQs

How to Search and Register for Field Studies/Study Abroad Classes

Our self-service tool Student Planning is available to help you search and register for classes online seven days a week. Check out the video and step-by-step instructions for more information.

Note: While you may search or Field Studies/Study Abroad classes as a guest, you must be a current College of DuPage student to log into the student portal and register for credit classes. If you have not applied to College of DuPage, apply online now to get started.

We’re here to help you. Call (630) 942-2356 or email us with any questions. You can also visit our office in the Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3520, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Students who do not pay their tuition bills are not automatically withdrawn from courses. Prices and itineraries are subject to change. Lodging accommodations are based on double occupancy. Refunds are not given for unused portions of a field experience. 

Course Openings and Registration

New Field Studies/Study Abroad courses (with trip fees of $500 or more) will open on the first Friday of each month. Online registration opens at 12 a.m. The list of courses opening for registration that month will be posted at the beginning of that week. Look under "New Classes" on the first Friday date on the calendar for details. First Friday courses are also announced on Field and Experiential Learning/Study Abroad Facebook.

Safety Abroad

The safety and well being of our students are always our first priority. Faculty leaders, program coordinators and administrators regularly monitor situations that potentially pose risk to our students abroad. We will cancel any program that we determine endangers the safety of our students and staff. We monitor U.S. Department of State travel advisories. You are encouraged to review the U.S. Department of State website so that you can make an informed decision to participate in your study abroad experience. We encourage students traveling abroad to register for the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Program.

Travel Insurance

All students registered for a course that travels internationally are covered by a COD International Travel Insurance policy. Insurance for domestic travel is not provided. Review this information and policy to learn more and determine if you should consider additional coverage.

Passport and REAL ID Information

If you do not have a passport, or your passport expires within six months of the program dates, you MUST apply for a passport or renew your passport immediately. Passports can take up to four months to obtain. Do not wait until you are accepted into or registered for a program.

A driver's license, state ID, or other federally approved documentation will be accepted by TSA for domestic travel until May 7, 2025. After that date, you must have a REAL ID, a valid passport, or other federally approved-for-travel documentation for domestic flights. For more information on travel documentation, visit the Department of Homeland Security Transportation Security Administration. A valid passport is required for international travel. The passport expiration date must extend six months beyond the travel dates.

Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Form

Participants in all Field and Experiential Learning/Study Abroad programs must complete the Liability Release and Assumption of Risk form.

Please feel free to contact us at with additional questions or concerns.

Frequently Asked Questions

No. All courses must be taken for credit. There are no exceptions. However, many of the people taking these courses are not traditional students. Many of the people in these courses may not "want" the course credit, but they choose these programs because they want to learn about the subject matter of the trip. Grading options can be arranged with the faculty to reflect these choices.
As with all courses, it depends. For a one-credit physical education class such as rock climbing, canoeing or backpacking, students must show an effort to learn the associated skills. In other courses, the mastery of specific content is required and graded. Check with our office or the course instructor for more information.

Possibly. The decision to approve the satisfactory/fail option is up to the instructor. The satisfactory/fail option usually allows a student to complete less work than would be required for an "A" or "B" grade.

Yes. For courses with fees over $500, payment plans are available. Payment plans may vary by course. Contact our office for details.

Students are responsible for withdrawing from a course by contacting the Field Studies/Study Abroad office. Be aware that there are no guaranteed refunds. Once you register, you will be responsible for any fees incurred on your behalf by the college. In the event that you must withdraw from the course, we will make every effort to find a replacement. Once the expenses for the course have been reconciled, we may provide a partial or full refund; however, this is not guaranteed. More information about travel insurance for domestic and international programs

Unless it is noted, all courses are for beginners. Some courses are created to offer options at various skill levels. Check with the instructor if you have questions or concerns about your skill level.

Although it's hard to predict who will register for a class, it is not uncommon for classes to have students who are 18 years old, 80 years old, and everywhere in between. Students must be 18 years or older to register for classes that include group travel. 

Equipment needs depend on the course. For most activity courses, equipment like kayaks, tents, sleeping bags, paddling gear, backpacks, and climbing gear is provided. Students may need to obtain personal items like boots, special clothing, utensils, headlamp/flashlight, etc. Contact the instructor for equipment questions or concerns.

Yes. New Field Studies/Study Abroad courses (with trip fees of $500 or more) will open on the first Friday of each month. Online registration opens at 12 a.m. The list of courses opening for registration that month will be posted at the beginning of that week. Look under "New Classes" on the first Friday date on the calendar for details.

All lead instructors have experience both in the classroom and in leading field studies. We are committed to using only certified lead instructors whenever a commonly accepted certification exists.

All courses offered through this department are for credit and may be either electives or required courses. To determine how a Field Studies or Study Abroad course fits your academic plan, meet with Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services.

Yes. You may take the same course again; however, your grade will be recorded as "R" for repeat, and you will receive no additional credit for the course.

Contact Information

Field and Experiential Learning, Study Abroad and Global Education
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3520
General inquiries: (630) 942-2356
Additional Contact Information