BNA Frequently Asked Questions

I'm interested in your Basic Nursing Assistant Program, where do I start/ what do I do?

If you are new to College of DuPage, you should start by talking to an Admissions Representative at (630) 942-2380.

If you have taken classes here before, you should start by attending an Advising Session; these are posted online.

What is the difference between B.N.A. and C.N.A.?

    • B.N.A. is the program name and training you receive - Basic Nurse Assistant
    • C.N.A. is the credential you receive after passing the competency test - Certified Nurse Assistant.

When do my health requirements need to be completed in order to register for the B.N.A. Program?

All health requirements must be completed, and your chart review must be received by the college directly from Edward Corporate Health, before you can apply to the program. The TB test and drug screen must be completed within 90 days of the start of the class; dates are posted on the BNA web page.

If I have a composite 20 on my ACT, do I need to take the reading and writing placement test for the B.N.A. Program?

A composite 20 on the ACT will satisfy the reading requirement only.

The writing requirement must be met by either a score of Category One on the Compass Writing Placement Essay (WPE) or completing ENGLI 1101 or 1102, or equivalent, with a grade C or better.

My C.N.A. certification has lapsed, how can I become recertified?

If a nurse aide is in good standing with no findings of abuse, neglect or theft and has not worked for pay in the nursing-related services for 24 consecutive months or more, he/she may be able to re-certify by either retraining and testing or testing only. Contact the Illinois Department of Public Health at 217-785-5133 for re-certification information. Or you may contact Gloria Kas at

Can I work as a C.N.A. in Illinois if my certification is from another state?

Yes, as long as you meet the requirements set forth by the Illinois Department of Public Health.

      • Have been deemed competent on another state's registry for CNAs.
      • Meet Illinois C.N.A. employer requirements

Do I need to take a B.N.A. course if I was a Medic in the military?

Not if you meet the requirements set forth by the Illinois Department of Public Health.  

      • Proof of completion/ evidence of experience
      • Proof of employment authorization
      • Pass written competency test

Can I get financial aid for the BNA Program?

Yes, if your intended field of study is the A.D.N. Program. Click here for eligibility details.  Additional information can be found on the Understanding your Financial Aid page. Or, you can call the Financial Aid Office at (630) 942-2251. 


Contact Information

If you are interested in learning more about this program, please

    1. Attend an advising session
    2. Visit a Health Career Program Advisor by calling (630) 942-2259 to make an appointment.
    3. For information or general inquiries, please send an email to (Please use above phone number only to schedule an appointment. Do not send an appointment request to this email).

Feedback/compliments/concerns regarding this Health Science Program. For general inquiries, please use contact information listed above.