estimated expenses image

Estimated Expenses

In order to receive a Form I-20, which is needed to obtain an F-1 student visa, College of DuPage is required by the U.S. federal immigration regulations to maintain records that demonstrate that you (the student) have at least the funds necessary to cover your tuition, fees and living expenses for your first year of study. The tuition rate for all F-1 international students beginning for the Fall 2023 semester will be assessed at the out-of-state tuition rate of $417.00 per credit hour. Note that the tuition rate may change without notice, and it is best to plan accordingly.

All F-1 international students are required to enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. The table below shows the cost of tuition for one academic year if the student is registered for the minimum requirement of 12 credit hours each semester.  Any additional credit hours that an F-1 student registers for will be calculated at $417 per credit hour. 


2023 - 2024 Academic Year (9 months) 
Tuition and Fees $10,008.00
Books and Supplies $1,410.00
Health Insurance $1,492.00
Living Expenses*  $12,272.00
Total Expenses $25,182.00


*Living expenses will need to be calculated at a 5% higher rate if the student plans to live on their own and not with a family member. Note , that these figures are estimates and are subject to change without notice.

The proper financial documentation should be a bank statement with a current account balance that shows the minimum required amount noted above on the "Total Expenses" line. The financial documentation must be dated within five months. If providing a business account, you will need to provide two forms of documentation. We will need an original business account statement and a letter issued directly from the banking institution indicating the name of the business account holder.  

The funds must be liquid assets such as a checking or savings account. Income tax forms or letters of employment are not acceptable. If the currency is not in U.S. dollars (USD), the exchange rate must be listed. All documentation must be certified, signed and stamped by a bank official.

If you are receiving government financial aid or taking a student loan from your home country, you must submit an original document verifying those funds. Be aware that College of DuPage does not offer financial assistance to international students.

Strict immigration regulations severely restrict the employment of foreign nationals residing in the United States. Therefore, you must have adequate finances to support yourself while you are a student at College of DuPage. On-campus employment is possible for F-1 international students, however, opportunities may be limited.


Contact Information

Gabi Carr
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 2225
(630) 942-2979

Summer Hours
Monday to Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday through Sunday: Closed
Evening appointments are available upon request.