group photo of students with the northern lights

Field and Experiential Learning/Study Abroad Registration information and FAQs

Important Information for Students Traveling Abroad

The safety and well being of our students are always our first priority. Faculty leaders, program coordinators and administrators regularly monitor situations that potentially pose risk to our students abroad. We will cancel any program that we determine endangers the safety of our students and staff. We monitor U.S. Department of State travel advisories. You are encouraged to review the U.S. Department of State website so that you can make an informed decision to participate in your study abroad experience. We encourage students traveling abroad to register for the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Program.

COVID-19 Vaccination

Beginning October 1, 2021, College of DuPage requires all students who wish to take in-person or hybrid courses, including field studies and study abroad, to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status is required. For instructions how to submit proof of vaccination and information about requesting an exemption for medical or religious reasons, visit COD COVID Info.

Liability Release and Assumption of Risk Form

Participants in all Field and Experiential Learning/Study Abroad programs must complete the Liability Release and Assumption of Risk form.

Please feel free to contact us at with additional questions or concerns.

No. All courses must be taken for credit. There are no exceptions. However, many of the people taking these courses are not traditional students. Many of the people in these courses may not "want" the course credit, but they choose these programs because they want to learn about the subject matter of the trip. Grading options can be arranged with the faculty to reflect these choices.

As with all courses, it depends. For a one-credit physical education class such as rock climbing, canoeing or backpacking, students must show an effort to learn the associated skills. In other courses, the mastery of specific content is required and graded. Check with our office or the course instructor for more information.

Possibly. The decision to approve the satisfactory/fail option is up to the instructor. The satisfactory/fail option usually allows a student to complete less work than would be required for an "A" or "B" grade.

Yes. For courses with fees over $500, payment plans are available. Payment plans may vary by course. Contact our office for details.

Fees for travel and lodging are non-refundable. Students are responsible for withdrawing from a course by contacting the Field Studies/Study Abroad office. Students who do not pay their tuition bills will NOT be automatically withdrawn from these courses. If there is a waiting list and we are able to find someone to take your place, we will refund your money unless a penalty is incurred from the airline or other vendor. If there is a medical emergency, we will make every effort to refund your money. Optional trip insurance information is available in our office.

Unless it is noted, all courses are for beginners. Some courses are created to offer options at various skill levels. Check with the instructor if you have questions or concerns about your skill level.

Although it's hard to predict who will register for a class, it is not uncommon for classes to have students who are 18 years old, 80 years old, and everywhere in between.

Equipment needs depend on the course. For most activity courses, equipment like kayaks, tents, sleeping bags, paddling gear, backpacks, and climbing gear is provided. Students may need to obtain personal items like boots, special clothing, utensils, headlamp/flashlight, etc. Contact the instructor for equipment questions or concerns.

Yes. Courses with fees greater than $500 open for registration up to a year in advance of the course start date.

All lead instructors have experience both in the classroom and in leading field studies. We are committed to using only certified lead instructors whenever a commonly accepted certification exists.

All courses offered through this department are for credit and may be either electives or required courses. To determine how a Field Studies or Study Abroad course fits your academic plan, meet with COD Counseling and Advising.

Yes. You may take the same course again; however, your grade will be recorded as "R" for repeat, and you will receive no additional credit for the course.

How To Register For a Field Studies Course

In many cases, you can register yourself through myACCESS. Alternatively, the Field Studies/Study Abroad staff can assist you with registration.

Contact Information

Field and Experiential Learning, Study Abroad and Global Education
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 3520
General inquiries: (630) 942-2356