students in a classroom

Prerequisite Frequently Asked Questions

A prerequisite is a required course that must be satisfied before you register for classes. The following is a list of frequently asked questions regarding course prerequisites. If you have additional questions, contact the Office of Student Records at (630) 942-3838.

If you receive a notice that says your registration was prevented due to unmet course prerequisites, the Office of Student Records does not have documentation on file that your prerequisite has been met. 

For more information on proving you have met the course prerequisites, visit proof of prerequisite

As long as all course prerequisite requirements are met, you will be allowed to register based on your current course enrollment.

At the end of the term and after grades are posted, your record will be automatically checked to verify that you have met the minimum grade criteria. If you have not met the criteria, you will be dropped from the course.

If you have previously completed a prerequisite course or if you are currently enrolled in a prerequisite course at another institution, submit your class schedule or unofficial transcript to You will also need to submit the Prerequisite Verification Request Form indicating the course you are trying to enroll.

Your demonstrated competency credit will be considered. Learn more about tests that COD will accept for competency credit.

Depending on your score, you may meet reading, writing,or math prerequisites. Refer to Proof of Prerequisite for more information.

Note: SAT scores from tests taken prior to 2016 are not acceptable for writing placement. 

Refer to Proof of Prerequisite for more information. You can also email with your questions. 

Students who present special circumstances (for example, extensive work experience) at the point of registration will be referred to the appropriate academic division office and subsequently referred to a faculty member where necessary.

If you do not meet the academic requirements to enroll in a course and the course allows for consent of instructor, you can request a permit to enroll. You can find the “Request a Permit” link under the Registration section on your myAccess account.

The system can handle both quarter and semester courses.

Contact Information

Office of Student Records
Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 2150

Regular Hours
Monday through Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Phone: (630) 942-3838
FAX: (630) 942-3693
Prerequisites: (630) 942-2260

Email contacts:
Student Records:
Official COD Transcripts:
Transcript Evaluation:
High School Transcripts:

Individuals who need language assistance, call Campus Central at (630) 942-3000 or email