The math and geometry placement exams are used to measure your mathematical skills to determine your proper course placement. Most math and geometry courses at COD have a prerequisite. These prerequisites may be met using prior coursework at COD or another college or a qualifying score on the ALEKS Math Placement Test.
Before taking your placement test, new students must apply for admission and obtain a COD ID number, username and password. A photo ID, COD ID number and COD username/password are required to begin the test.
Testing is available at the main campus Glen Ellyn Testing Center; at the Learning Commons in the Addison, Naperville, Carol Stream or Westmont Center; or in the Virtual Testing Center.
Math Placement Requirements
Students can meet math placement requirements using any of the following:
- A prerequisite college math course, at College of DuPage or another institution, with a grade of C or higher. For math classes taken at another institution, transcripts must be submitted and evaluated by the Office of Student Records.
- A proctored ALEKS PPL score from COD or another institution. Scores for tests taken prior to January 1, 2022 are valid for 12 months. Scores for tests taken January 1, 2022 or later are valid for 18 months. Test scores from other institutions can be submitted through a student's ALEKS PPL account or a Placement Assessment Report can be sent to email@example.com from the other institution's testing center.
- For Math 1218 or 1220 only:
- An ACT math score of 22 or a SAT math score of 530 (Scores must be less than 30 months old.) Proof of score must be provide. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- High school cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher with successful completion of a 4th year high school math class (2 semesters with C or higher) within the past 18 months
- For Math 1321 only:
- Math 0482 with a grade of C or higher*
- ALEKS placement score of 46 or higher within the past 18 months*
- ACT math sub score of 24 or higher within the past 30 months* - Proof of score must be provided. Send to email@example.com.
- SAT math score of 570 or higher within the past 30 months* - Proof of score must be provided. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- High school cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher with successful completion of a 4th year high school math class (2 semesters with C or higher) within the past 18 months*
* Students also need ALEKS Geometry score of 50 or higher.
- An A, B, or C grade from an Illinois high school senior year Transitional Math course completed in the last 18 months may allow placement into some math courses. If a TM code is included in the high school transcript, it can be sent to HStranscript@cod.edu.
- A COD ALEKS PPL math placement test
ALEKS PPL Math Placement Test
ALEKS Placement, Preparation, and Learning (PPL) is a placement tool. The score from Test 1 creates an individualized study plan for review prior to future test attempts. All questions on the ALEKS test are free response (no multiple choice).
ALEKS PPL is used at College of DuPage to assess your current math skills, create a personalized learning path to help refresh and improve your math knowledge and place you into an appropriate math course based on your best proctored assessment.
Math Placement Test Procedures
- Review Math Placement Test Guidelines or video.
- Log in to inside.cod.edu with your COD username and password. For assistance logging in, contact the Student Help Desk at (630) 942-2999 or email@example.com.
- In the Math Placement Testing section, click “ALEKS PPL Math Placement” to create your one-year account.
- Click “Get Started” on your placement assessment. Complete the tutorial.
Math Placement Test Information Sessions are also available to help you learn how to sign up for and navigate the ALEKS Placement, Preparation, and Learning module.
- Review Math Placement Test Guidelines or video.
- Results from Test 1,2, 3, and 4 can be used for course placement. Note: Your Test 1 score will be used to create an individualized study plan in the ALEKS Prep and Learning module.
- Take your proctored test at one of the six testing locations. Only one proctored ALEKS PPL test may be taken in a day.
Math Placement Testing FAQs
You have four attempts in a one year period. All four tests are proctored. The highest score from any proctored test will be used to determine course placement. Test scores are available immediately after testing.
Choosing a Class
When you finish your test, refer to the score chart for course placement. To discuss your options, contact Counseling, Advising and Transfer Services at (630) 942-2259. For more information about math placement, contact Math Assistance by:
- Email at MathAssistanceArea@cod.edu
- Phone and leave a message at (630) 942-3339.
- Live online help through Blackboard (BB) Collaborate.
Engineering Pathways Applicants
Engineering Pathways applicants are required to take a proctored ALEKS PPL Math Placement test and meet minimum score requirements in order to apply for admission. For more information regarding program requirements, visit Engineering Pathways.
Using Your Transitional Math Placement
Students who take the two-semester transitional math course in a College of DuPage Community College District 502 high school can use their second semester grade of A, B or C to enroll directly into select classes.
Registration for the following math courses require a Geometry Placement test score: 0482, 1321, 1322, 1428 and 1431.
You may not need to take a Geometry Placement test if you have one of the following:
- A prerequisite math course with a grade of C or higher. For math classes taken at another institution, transcripts must be submitted and evaluated by the Office of Student Records.
- A previous College of DuPage ALEKS Geometry score that meets the minimum score requirements.
- A qualifying test score or course prerequisite.
Note: Your comprehensive knowledge check scores will be used for course placement. The comprehensive knowledge check may be taken up to two times.
- Login to inside.cod.edu with your COD username and password. For assistance logging in, contact the Student Help Desk at (630) 942-2999 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the Math Placement Test section, click the "Geometry Placement" link to either take your first test (Initial Knowledge Check) or work in Learning your study plan. Note: Your Initial Knowledge Check score will be used to recommend an individualized study plan in ALEKS Geometry and cannot be used for course placement.
- Complete your Initial Knowledge Check or review in your study plan until you feel ready to take a proctored test.
- Geometry Review Workshops are also available to review basic geometric principles in preparation for the Geometry Placement test.
Geometry Placement Testing FAQs
The following courses have a geometry prerequisite. You can satisfy the geometry prerequisite using any of the following.
For course descriptions and course prerequisite information, visit the College of DuPage Course Catalog.
|ALEKS PPL Score
|COMPASS Geometry Score
|ALEKS Geometry Score
|ACT Math Sub Score
|Math 0482, Math 1428, Math 1431
|Math 1321, Math 1322
*Prerequisite for Math 0470: Math 0481 with a grade of C or better, or a score of 30 on the ALEKS PPL
**These scores expire in 18 months from the date they were earned (12 months if taken before Jan 1, 2022)
The expiration varies depending on how you satisfied the geometry prerequisite:
- The ALEKS Geometry score, the COMPASS Geometry score, and the ACT math sub score never expire as geometry prerequisites.
- The "C" or better in Math 0470 never expires.
- The score of 46 on the ALEKS PPL Placement Test expires 18 months from the date it was earned, 12 months if the score is from before Jan. 1, 2022.
You meet the geometry prerequisite for Math 0482, Math 1108, Math 1428, and Math 1431. Note that this score expires 18 months from the date it was earned, 12 months if the score is from before Jan. 1, 2022.
If you plan to enroll in Math 1321 or Math 1322, you will need to take the ALEKS Geometry Test. The 46 or higher on the ALEKS PPL Placement Test does not meet the requirement for these classes.
- You may take the ALEKS Geometry placement test even if you’ve already taken the COMPASS geometry test.
- You cannot use your own calculator. If ALEKS determines that a calculator may be needed, the calculator icon will appear on the screen. You will have to do some calculations by hand. Pencil and paper will be provided.
- All answers are free form—no multiple choice.
- Most students will need about 1 – 1 ½ hours to complete the test.
- Starting the testing process creates an account which will expire in 18 weeks. You must have completed your geometry testing by then.
- You will have 1 un-proctored “Initial Knowledge Check” (that does not count for placement) and up to 2 proctored attempts (which do count for placement).