Faculty Professional Development
The College of DuPage provides opportunities for Faculty Professional Development to develop and deepen their skills in learning-centered teaching strategies, outcomes-based practice, scholarship of teaching and learning and creating communities of learners. Faculty can reach out to the TLC or the Faculty Professional Development Coordinator, Jennifer Kelley with questions or requests.
In support of College of DuPage's mission to be a center for excellence in teaching, learning, and cultural experiences, the Faculty Professional Development Program is dedicated to providing programs and services that cultivate a community of inquiry around teaching and learning; supporting faculty throughout their careers as educators, scholars and professionals; and foster interdisciplinary collaboration.
The Faculty Professional Development Program envisions a faculty that is engaged in the art and science of teaching; reflective in its practice; dedicated to creating an inclusive community of learners; and collaborative across disciplines, departments and divisions.
The goals of COD Faculty Professional Development are to:
- Develop and sustain collegial and academic development and discourse through the exchange of ideas about teaching and learning.
- Provide training and consultation services in pedagogy, instructional technologies, and other related practices that support teaching and learning excellence.
- Foster teaching excellence and student success through inquiry, innovation and interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Collaborate with partners across campus to support teaching and learning initiatives.
Faculty Professional Development supports COD faculty members in continual learning around the following five themes:
- Learner-Centered Teaching - Faculty Professional Development will encourage COD faculty to adopt diverse teaching and learning strategies that promote both acquisition and application of knowledge and understanding.
- Community of Learners - Faculty Professional Development will encourage the design of learning opportunities that acknowledge, draw upon and are enriched by student diversity. Faculty Professional Development will foster the development of learning environments that create an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion, respect and understanding.
- Inquiry-Based Practice - Faculty Professional Development will facilitate the development and sharing of teaching strategies and assessment tools that align student learning with program outcomes.
- Professional Commitment - Faculty Professional Development will encourage COD faculty to stay current in their discipline through activities such as attending professional conferences, participating in research, and sharing disciplinary insights with the college community.
- Reflective Practice - Faculty Professional Development will encourage COD faculty to continuously examine their teaching effectiveness with respect to student learning. Faculty Professional Development will provide opportunities to keep current in the scholarship of teaching and learning in all modes of delivery.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2019 College of DuPage