Basic Nursing Assistant (BNA)
As a reminder, there is information for all NURSING DEPARTMENT PROGRAM inquiries and students on the NURSING DEPARTMENT home page.
Registration for the NURSA 1105 course is in accordance with the college registration calendar AND is affected by the 90 day drug screen and TB skin tests health requirement's earliest completion date.Summer 2015 – NURSA 1105: Basic Nursing Assistant
- Registration opens: Tuesday, March 17, 2015 – See Admission Requirements link below for eligibility details.
- Registration closes: Friday, May 22, 2015 at close of business day.
- Mandatory BNA Student Orientation: Monday, June 1, 2015 in the morning or afternoon. Details will be sent to ALL registered students' college email after registration closes.
- Classes begin the week of June 8, 2015.
Fall 2015 – NURSA 1105: Basic Nursing Assistant – First 8 week classes and 16 week classes
- Registration opens: Tuesday, May 26, 2015 – See "Admission Requirements" link below for eligibility details.
- Registration closes: Monday, August 10, 2015 at close of business day.
- Mandatory BNA Student Orientation: Monday, August 17, 2015 in the morning or afternoon. Details will be sent to ALL registered students' college email after registration closes.
- Classes begin the week of August 24, 2015.
Fall 2015 – NURSA 1105: Basic Nursing Assistant – Second 8 week classes
- Registration opens: Monday, July 13, 2015 – See "Admission Requirements" link below for eligibility details.
- Registration closes: Monday, October 1, 2015 at close of business day.
- Mandatory BNA Student Orientation: October 7, 2015 in the afternoon. Details will be sent to ALL registered student's college email after registration closes.
- Classes begin the week of October 14, 2015.
Certified Background code for the drug screen is CY64dt. Please see the Health Requirements
packet for updates to previous policies regarding reporting your health requirements.
In recent years, the Basic Nursing Assistant (BNA) profession has become one of the 10 fastest-growing careers in health care. With advances in medicine, as well as an increasingly larger older adult population, nursing homes, hospitals, home health care agencies and other medical facilities have become more and more dependent on the care provided by well-trained, state-certified BNAs.
A BNA is an entry-level nurse assistant who helps registered nurses (RNs) and licensed practical nurses (LPNs) with a wide variety of hands-on patient care. College of DuPage offers a BNA course (Health Sciences 1105) that provides both classroom and clinical education. Following successful completion of the course, a student must complete a state registry examination to begin working as a BNA. The course is eight weeks in length.
Certification as a BNA is also a prerequisite for students who plan to apply for entrance into the college's Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) program. The BNA program is approved by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
- Attend an Advising Session
- View the Online Advising Session
- Admission Requirements and BNA Program Application (Summer 2015)
- Admission Requirements and BNA Program Application (Beginning Fall 2015)
- BNA Health Requirements
- Frequently Asked Questions
- BNA Handbook (Summer 2015-Spring 2016)
- Graduate Outcomes
- Course Description
- Skills Checklist
- Clinical Evaluation Tools
- Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation
Completing the Program
If you are interested in learning more about this program, please
- Attend an advising session
- Visit a Health Career Program Advisor by calling (630) 942-2259 to make an appointment.
- For information or general inquiries, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Please use above phone number only to schedule an appointment. Do not send an appointment request to this email).
- Attend an advising session
Feedback/compliments/concerns regarding this Health Science Program. For general inquiries, please use contact information listed above.
Earn BNA Certificate On The Weekend
Get your Basic Nursing Assistant Certificate entirely on the weekend.
BNA Online Advising Session
To meet the Advising Session requirement for the B.N.A. Program, you may view the session online or at one of the in-person sessions.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2015 College of DuPage