Biotechnology is a rapidly growing field that applies living organisms to create products for use in medicine, agriculture, food processing, forensics and environmental science. COD will offer a new course, Fundamentals of Biotechnology, Biology 1130 (IAI L1 906L), starting in fall 2010.
Students who enjoy laboratory investigation studies are encouraged to apply. The college is also developing an A.S. degree in biotechnology.
Consider pursuing a career in this dynamic field. You can become a member of a vibrant biotechnology workforce team.
To provide the scientific background and the practical laboratory experience necessary to prepare students for entry-level laboratory technician employment in biotechnology research and industry or to transfer to a biotechnology or related science program at a four-year institution.
Biotechnology program outcomes: Students who successfully complete the biotechnology program at College of DuPage will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence with a variety of laboratory techniques with use of laboratory equipment
- Apply appropriate math and computer skills that are relevant to the acquisition and analysis of data and bioscience laboratory techniques
- Follow established guidelines and regulations in the laboratory
- Employ safety techniques and good common sense to maintain a healthy work and lab environment
- Use critical and creative thinking skills, including scientific method of inquiry, trouble-shooting and problem solving
- Demonstrate excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills
- Project a professional demeanor and supportive interpersonal skills for effective work place interaction
If you are considering this program as an area of study, consult with a faculty advisor
in this field. To send an e-mail, click on the name of the advisor you wish to reach:
Karen R. Persky, Biology
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 2321, (630) 942-3932
Richard Jarman, Chemistry
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 3333, (630) 942-2451
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2015 College of DuPage