The following Chaparral Career Advantage workshops are free (unless otherwise noted) and open to all students, alumni, and community members. Student registration is available in Chap Life - visit chaplife.cod.edu. On-site registration will be available for alumni and community members day of the workshop. Walk-ins are welcome.
Questions can be directed to Career Services at (630) 942-2230.
For Americans with Disabilities Act accommodations, call (630) 942-2141 (voice) or (630) 858-9692 (TDD).
Unsure what career to choose or what to pursue academically? Looking to make a career change but don't know where to begin? This Career Exploration workshop may be for you. The Self-Directed Search is a starting point for research and understanding of what career options are out there for participants to further investigate for themselves.
Pre-registration is required for this workshop. Interested participants may call (630) 942-2230 or visit Career Services in SSC 3258 to register. Registration closes 1 week prior to the listed workshop date.
The following steps must be completed at least one week prior to attending this workshop.
- Register for one of the sessions listed below.
- Stop in Career Services, SSC 3258, to pick up a permit for the SDS assessment.
- At least one week prior to the workshop, take the permit to COD Specialized Testing Center in the Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2A08 and complete the SDS assessment. The assessment should take approximately 30 minutes to complete and the cost is $10.
- Assessment results and interpretation will be distributed and discussed at your scheduled workshop.
The following dates and times are available for registration:
- Tuesday, Nov. 12, 6 to 7:30 p.m., BIC 3421
- Wednesday, Dec. 4, 6 to 7:30 p.m., BIC 3415
Did you know that over 90% of employers use LinkedIn? This workshop will introduce the professional networking website. Being an active LinkedIn user is crucial to success. Participants will learn more than just how to build a profile but key features such as the job board, discussion groups, and alumni searches will be highlighted.
- Tuesday, Nov. 5, noon to 1:30 p.m., SCC 119 (Professional Branding Week Event!)
- Thursday, Nov. 7, LinkedIn Photobooth Event, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Student Life Lounge SCC 1200
Creative Job Searching
Discover new ways to find job opportunities! Working as a group, we will brainstorm key terms to create personal search strategies. Whether you are new to job searching, looking to make a career transition, re-entering the workforce, or wanting to find another opportunity, you can use these exercises to transform your general searches into a job journey.
Build the skills and confidence you need to get the salary you deserve. Learn techniques and strategies to prepare you for negotiating salary, hourly wage, and benefits over the phone and in-person. We also dive into researching salary and how to leverage your strengths, experience, skills, and knowledge. There will be live demonstrations with opportunities for you to practice as the employer and the applicant.
National Disability Employment Awareness Month: Finding Inclusive Employers
In honor of Disability Awareness Month, Career Services is offering a workshop to help students with disabilities navigate the job search process. This session will provide tips and insight for identifying employers who are recognized as inclusive. Job search strategies, tips, and information related to disclosure and self-ID will be discussed. Every experience and perspective is unique. This workshop will not assess situations on an individual basis and will provide more generalized information to help students determine the approach that will work best for them.
Need a resume review, cover letter review, interviewing tips, or other job seeking advice? Stop in for a half-hour meeting with a Career Specialist. Meetings are first come, first served.
- Every Tuesday from Aug. 27 to Dec. 10, 1 to 3 p.m., SSC 3258
- Every Wednesday from Aug. 28 to Dec. 11, 9 to 11 a.m., SSC 3258
Please Note: No walk-ins Tuesday, Nov. 26 and Wednesday, Nov. 27
Q & A Table & Free Popcorn
Have a quick question for Career Services? Stop by our table and get free popcorn.
- Thursday, Oct. 31, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Behind Starbucks
- Thursday, Nov., 7, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Student Life Lounge SSC 1200 (Professional Branding Week Event)
Service Learning and Volunteer Fair
The Service Learning and Volunteer Fair will provide students the opportunity to network and discuss service learning and volunteer opportunities with local non for profit organizations. This event will be held in the Student Services Atrium and over 30 community partners will be representing their organizations and recruiting COD students to participate.
Student Services Center (SSC) Room 3258
Fax: (630) 942-4596
Monday to Thursday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.