Open Skills Laboratory
Open Lab Holiday Hours:
December 18, 2017 - January 19, 2017
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
*Closed: December 25, 2017 through Jan 2, 2018
*Closed: January 15, 18, and 19, 2018
The open laboratory is a space where students can go to put their skills into practice at their own pace and according to their own needs.
The open laboratory at College of DuPage provides an environment for all nursing department program students to practice nursing skills. Manikins, models, and other equipment provide a non-threatening, hands-on learning environment for skill acquisition.
The lab is available for students to practice skills, do homework, work with students and faculty, or complete any other work related to their studies.
These checklists outline some of the skills and procedures on which nursing students are evaluated during their lab work
- Administration of IV Piggyback
- Administration of IV Push/IV Bolus
- Administration of Medication via Parenteral Injection
- Administration of Medication via PEG-tube
- Administration of Oral Medication
- Central Line Dressing
- Head to Toe Assessment
- Initiation of IV Catheter
- Nasogastric Tube Insertion
- Nasogastric Tube Removal
- Nasopharyngeal and Oropharyngeal Suctioning
- Replacement of IV Tubing and IV Solution
- Tracheostomy Care and Suctioning
- Urinary Catheterization
** If a latex or betadine allergy exists or is suspected, please notify your clinical instructor and the lab personnel. **
Nursing Open Lab Policies
The lab is open and equipped for your ongoing nursing proficiency practice needs. You will perform simulated practice until you have mastered the skill/procedure to the point where you can pass your return demonstration and safely perform the skill/procedure in the clinical setting. In order to allow active learning to take place, certain policies regarding the lab have been established and must be observed by all.
- Hours will be posted in the lab, explained to you in your lab classes and posted on the student portal and nursing lab website. Lab hours are continually evaluated; if any changes are necessary, you will be notified by these means.
- Personal belongings (i.e. coats and books) are not lab staff responsibility. Please make sure that they are neatly placed out of the way for the consideration of other students.
- No eating or drinking in the lab. When taking a break outside the lab, use the waste containers provided.
- If any of the manikins or equipment is not working properly, report it immediately to the lab staff so that it may be repaired. Report any and all incidents or malfunctions to the lab staff. Students should not remove manikins from the beds. Please ask for assistance.
- Lab staff members are available for assistance as needed during independent study/practice. Skill performance will be evaluated by faculty.
- After practicing skills, straighten unit/area so it is ready for the next student. Chairs should be replaced under the tables when leaving the area. Pick up any waste materials observed on the floor and place in trash containers. Return any lab issued supplies or equipment to designated location; example - needle and syringes to syringe box in designated areas. Wipe up all spills on floors. Keep beds in appropriate position with linens straightened before leaving and side rails in upright position. Turn off all over bed lights.
- The lab must maintain a study atmosphere; therefore, children and visitors are NOT allowed.
*Please note: Open Lab hours may change during the course of a semester as the Open Lab may be utilized for Nursing Lab Class overflow. Students are encouraged to check the posted lab hours which can be found outside the Open Lab in the Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 2142.
If you require one-on-one assistance, please contact a Lab Assistant to set up an appointment.
Nursing Lab Assistant Office
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 2142
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 2145
Health and Science Center (HSC), Room 2136
Melissa Ericson, Nursing Simulation and Lab Manager
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2018 College of DuPage