Government Information Research Guide
( Local IRS Office: 2001 Butterfield Road, Downers Grove, 60515, Phone: 630-493-5291, open M-F, 8:30-4:30. )
Table of Contents
Look in the following catalogs for government publications, books,
videos, Internet sites, maps, and other types of audiovisual items:
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what COD uses to shelve its books).
Other Nearby Public and Academic Libraries
Some appropriate reference books are also included with each
section of Internet sites listed below.
Other Related C.O.D. Library Research Guides
Constitution of the U.S.,
Declassified Government Documents,
Emergency Management and Disasters,
Genocide and Human Rights,
Global Studies Resources,
Immigration Debate Issue,
Media and Politics,
Military - Industrial Complex,
Political Science ,
Social / Demographic / Economic Statistics Sources,
You must have a valid College of DuPage library
card to access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost) (1990-present) Magazines and journals.
- African Geopolitics. Free online journal.
Air University Library's Index to Military Periodicals (AULIMP).
- Blackwell Synergy. This is an index of articles published in journals that are printed by the Blackwell company. A wide variety of topics and journals are covered, but you only get bibliographic citations, no full-text articles. You can select a particular subject area to search in, or you can select a specific journal to search in by clicking on the broad subject, then selecting a small subject area from that next page, then selecting the particular journal title on the third page. You can move through the categories by clicking on the plus sign [+] to the left of the category name.
Researcher (Nov. 1991-present).Full-text articles covering
topics of current interest and controversy.
- Foreign Relations/Diplomatic History/International Relations index of recent articles, no full-text.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- H-NET Scholarly book reviews.
- Homeland Security Digital Library (HSDL) . Access to citations and the full-text of thousandss of articles and official government reports. Click here for a description of the contents.
- IngentaConnect. This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most ARE NOT available as full-text online items.
- JSTOR: Scholarly Journals Archive of Older Issues.
- Latin American Periodicals Tables of Contents (LAPTOC). No full-text articles.
- Military and Government Collection of articles.
(ProQuest) (1980's-present).Full-text of four major national
newspapers including the New York Times and the Chicago Tribune and Wall Street Journal and the Washington Post .
- Open Access Journals Directory (free full-text journal articles)
- Project MUSE. This database provides citations and abstracts only.
- SCIRUS. A search engine for scientific journal article citations and links to web pages.
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
of the Difference between Journals and Magazines .
Identifying Peer - Reviewed Scholarly Journals, Trade Publications, and Magazines (from ProQuest).
to Read a Research Study Article.
Illinois and Other States
- A - Z of Countries of the World.
- British Government Publications.
Government Information. (http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/8/4/index-e.html/)
- Country Background
Notes from the U.S. State Department.
- Country Information and Statistics, from World Audit.org.
- Country Reports.org. A collection of cultural, historical, statistical, and geographic information about countries.
- Country Statistics and Reports from the Population Reference Bureau
- Economic Freedom of the World Report.
- Flags of the World.
Government Links (from Northwestern University)
- Foreign Governments: Constitutions, Laws, and Treaties. (from the University of Michigan Library)
- Human Rights
Practices Reports, from the U.S. State Department.
- International Government Information and Country Information: A Subject Guide. Reference ZA 5050 .M 67b 2004.
Statistical Agencies. (http://www.census.gov/main/www/stat_int.html)
- The Oxford Companion to the Politics of the World. Reference JA 61 .O 95 2001.
- Rankings of Countries by democratic development, press freedoms, human rights, rule of law, corruption, civil liberties, economic freedom, from World Audit.org.
- WikiLeaks - documents from around the world.
- World Audit.org. Provides rankings of countries by many different subjects.
- World Public Opinion.org.
- World Treaty Index.
Defense and Security
Health and Medicine
Legislatures (Congress, parliaments, etc.)
Evaluating Web Sites
The Library can obtain copies of articles or books from other libraries
for you. Inquire at the Reference Desk. You may also consult journal
title lists from other libraries in the area.
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
(630) 942-2279, FAX (630) 858-8757
Office: SRC 3035