HSTI Community Workshops are free for viewers to explore topics on crime prevention, frauds and scams, emergency preparedness and more.
Mental Health Basics and Suicide Prevention
This HSTI Community Workshop is to provide basic information about common mental disorders and the impact of these disorders on overall functioning. Participants will learn about the signs and symptoms associated with various types of mental disorders and how to respond to individuals in need of help. Participants are also taught how to distinguish mental health crisis situations and identify suicide risk behaviors, which may constitute a medical emergency. Information about mental health treatment options and available therapies, including local resources are provided.
Resources for the Suicide Prevention Workshop
DuPage County Health Department
Main Number: (630) 682-7400
Crisis Services - 24/7 Hotline: (630) 627-1700
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
1 (800) 273-TALK (8255)
Crisis Text Line
Text "REACH" to 741741 for free, 24/7 Crisis Counseling
An interactive website for resources and tools for emotional support.
- Dr. Richard Jorgensen, DuPage County Coroner
- Betsy Boesch, Behavioral Health Emergency Services Supervisor, DuPage County Health Department
- Silvia Donatelli, Ph.D., Clinical Psychologist, Mental Health Counselor, Counseling and Advising Services of College of DuPage
Past Community Workshop
This webinar occurred on Dec. 3, 2020. The following video of the webinar is available for viewing.
Watch DuPage County Coroner, Dr. Richard Jorgensen, provide statistics of the rising deaths in our county due to opioid overdoses and counterfeit medications.
Hear a compelling personal story from a couple about their struggle with opioid addiction, and their subsequent success with treatment and recovery.
Learn about the Narcan Program, HOPEDUPAGE, and treatment and recovery options. Discover what resources are available and where to find them.
Resources from the Opioid Workshop
- 516 Light Foundation
- Banyan Treatment Center
- DuPage Narcan Program/Opioid Initiatives
- Treatment Locator
- Narcotics Anonymous Meetings
- SMART Recovery Meetings
- National Helpline: 1-800-662-4357 (HELP)
- Partnership to End Addiction
- Alcohol Addiction Rehabilitation Treatment
- Dr. Richard Jorgensen - DuPage County Coroner
- Brad and Jessica Gerke - Co-founders of The 516 Light Foundation
- Mila Tsagalis - Director of Community Initiatives, DuPage County Health Department
- Scott Kaufmann - Community Initiatives Coordinator, DuPage County Health Department
- Jason Florin - Professor and Program Chair of Human Services, College of DuPage
For more information about HSTI courses and webinars, contact (630) 942-2183.