This is the first and only 40-hour UAV/Drone Operator course that has been certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board (ILETSB). This course satisfies the following mandates: Civil Rights, Constitutional and Proper use of Law Enforcement Authority, & Law Update.
The course has been specifically designed for Illinois police officers who plan to utilize drones during surveillance, narcotics investigations, crime scene /crash scene documentation, search & rescue, and other law enforcement operations. This training provides interactive hands-on learning and practical exercises to help prepare students to pass the required FAA 14 CFR Part 107 written licensing exam. Topics taught by a licensed pilot / instructor include airspace rules, aerodynamics, emergency / pre-planned missions, and the principles of unmanned aviation. Students will also receive training from a licensed attorney in the applicable Federal regulations, Illinois statutes, 4th Amendment case law, liability, policy and best practices.
Required Course Materials: Students will be provided all necessary course materials, including textbooks. There are no required textbooks to purchase
- Introduction to Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- Federal Aviation Administration 14 CFR Part 107 Overview
- Selection criteria for UAVs used in law enforcement
- Practical Exercise - Flying Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAVs)
- Law Update
- Regulations, Rating Privileges & Limitations
- Airspace Classification
- Aviation Weather Sources
- Emergency Procedures
- Crew Resource Management
- Small Unmanned Aircraft Loading
- FAA Radio Communication Procedures
- Physiological Factors Affecting Pilot Performance
- Airport Operations
- Maintenance and Preflight Inspection Procedures
- Practical Exercise - Flying Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)
- Simulated Field Mission
- Course review & evaluations
- 14 CFR Part 107 FAA certification FINAL Exam
Monday, Dec. 16 to Friday, Dec. 20, 2019
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
NOTE: Friday afternoon there will be a Field Exercise in Maywood Illinois, and the FAA Exam in Chicago.
*Includes $150 FAA certification exam fee
*Includes $30 text book & online access