The marksmanship training and firearms safety course is a 6-week, coached range class intended to improve overall marksmanship by perfecting the fundamentals of handgun shooting. This course will focus on increasing precision of semi-automatic handgun skills, including drawing from the holster, shooting one-handed, and engagement in training drills and exercises. Focus will be on firearm safety throughout the 6 week program. Personally owned handguns are allowed, no revolvers. Lead-free ammunition for 9mm, .40 and .45 caliber will be provided. Instructor: Michelle Quesada
Class Prerequisite: All students must have attended either a basic firearm safety class, Concealed Carry or NRA Basic Pistol Shooting. If student has not take one of these courses, he or she must attend a Basic Firearm Safety Class at COD. A current and valid FOID card is required to attend this course.
Tuesday evenings, 7-10 p.m., April 17 to May 22
Tuesday evenings, 7-10 p.m., June 5 to July 10
Introductory price of $450.00 (ammunition included)
Homeland Security Training Institute (HTC)
Marksmanship Training and Firearm Safety Course
- Personally owned handguns are allowed to be utilized in the Marksmanship Training and Firearm Safety class after full inspection by instructor. This falls under Board Policy 15-41 Concealed Carry Exemptions under section 3.B (3) that states that firearms are allowed to be brought on campus if "the weapon or firearm is used in connection with a weapons safety course, weapons education course, military science or law enforcement training course offered by the College and/or approved and authorized by the College."
- This course is designed for semi-automatic handguns.
- All firearms are to be unloaded and locked in a gun locker or safe until individuals are instructed to remove them by the instructor on the range - no exceptions.
- Students must enter the building with their firearms on the east side of the building and enter through the range garage doors. Students are not allowed to walk through the lobby of the building with their personal weapons.
- No ammunition is allowed to be brought into the building. All lead-free ammunition is to be purchased from the College of DuPage for use in the range only.
- If an unsafe act or failing to follow instructions by a student occurs, that student will be immediately removed from the range.
Please Note: Prior to start date of the course, HSTI will send a link to an online assessment that is required to complete the registration process.