Management of evidence and property is an essential function of law enforcement in the investigation and disposition of criminal cases. In many instances the appropriate handling of evidence has been instrumental in the charging of suspects for crimes committed years earlier, due to such things as scientific analysis advancement. This eight hour course will provide Chiefs, Deputy Chiefs and Command Staff with an overview of essential consideration in maintaining evidence and property units. The curriculum will also educate law enforcement executives on recent evidence rules and court decisions.
- Law enforcement's conversion from paper to computer management systems.
- A review of the "Right of Refusal" on the part of the property section.
- Audits of the property room, including management of records throughout the Department.
- Disposal of evidence at the conclusion of court cases.
- Development of current written policy and procedures.