- Quam, Joel, and Scott Campbell. 2020. The Western World: Daily Readings on Geography. 1st ed. Glen Ellyn, IL: College of DuPage Digital Press. https://cod.pressbooks.pub/westernworlddailyreadingsgeography/
- Open Educational Resources (OER) - a free, online textbook
- utilizing an innovative format of short, focused chapters on many topics
- my student's story - Sydney Hamilton
- my student's story - Hannah Deadman-Arnst
- my story
- GEOGR1100 - Geography of the Western World
- GEOGR1105 - Geography of the Eastern World
- Fall 2022 - Expected debut of companion OER textbook with colleague Scott Campbell
- The Eastern World: Daily Readings on Geography
- Co-founder and co-chair of the Russia Committee, a COD committee devoted to learning about Russia
- Full Professor of Geography
- Department Chair - Fall 2020-present
- COD Professional Development Tsar - 2015-2018
- Tsar of Noonball - 1998-present
Areas of Research Interest:
- Regional Geography of Russia
- and other parts of the former Soviet Union (especially Estonia, Latvia)
- May 2017 - co-leader of trip to Russia for students and community members
- proposed May 2022 trip to St. Petersburg, Russia and Tallinn, Estonia
- A.B.D. in Geography at Indiana University.
- M.A. in Russian Studies at the University of Washington.
- B.A. in Russian Studies, Political Science, and Mathematics at St. Olaf College.
Global Flicks (Annual COD Foreign Film Series):
- "The Wave" - 2019 post-film presentation with colleague Diana Strode
- discussion of geography in this Norwegian disaster movie
- "Red Army" - 2016 post-film presentation
- discussion of context for this American-Russian documentary about Soviet hockey
- 2021 link - https://www.atthemac.org/global-flicks/
- Various suburban locations
- "Geopolitics of Russia"
- "Bering Strait" - 2004 pre-concert (Russian country music band) presentation
- McAninch Arts Center - discussion of the geography of the Bering Strait region
- National Great Teachers Movement
Awards and Recognitions:
- 2007-2008 - Outstanding Faculty of the Year for COD's Health and Sciences Division
- 2003-2004 - Selected as Professor in ICISP Exchange Partnership with the Netherlands
Fiction Writer - Murder Mystery Novel:
Quam, Joel. "... or Perish." North Star Press, 2009.