International students who apply for admission to College of DuPage will be required to submit TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores as part of the admission process.
- Students with a TOEFL iBT score of 79 or higher or an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher will be considered college-ready and will be eligible to enroll in Academic courses.
- Students with a TOEFL iBT score of 40-78 or an IELTS score of 3-6 will complete all relevant placement exams and will be placed in English or Academic ESL per the current placement guidelines.
- Students with a TOEFL iBT score of 39 or lower or an IELTS score of 2.5 or lower will not be eligible for admission to College of DuPage.
Exceptions to the TOEFL or IELTS:
- International students from countries where English is the primary spoken language.
- International students who have taken ACT are not required to take TOEFL/IELTS.
- International students who have graduated from a U.S. high school.
- International students who have successfully completed English 1101 or equivalent at an accredited U.S. college or university.
- International students who have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited U.S. college or university.
- International students currently residing in the United States and enrolled at Language Training Schools would be required to demonstrate language proficiency by completing either TOEFL iBT, IELTS, COMPASS*, ACT, or SAT.
*College of DuPage COMPASS placement tests will need to be take in the four different areas:
- ESL Compass Reading
- ESL Compass Writing
- ESL Compass e-Write
- ESL Compass Listening
Placement into English as a Second Language (ESL) courses will be required if passing scores are not achieved.
A review of the online sample materials is recommended in order to determine the minimum proficiency required for Level 1 courses.
Click on ESL courses for more information on the different levels offered and course information.
Student Services Center (SSC), Room 2225
Fax: (630) 942-2323
Monday to Fridays: 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday: Closed
Evening appointments are available upon request.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2015 College of DuPage