COVID-19 Temporary Placement Policies and Procedures
Due to COVID-19, temporary placement policies and procedures are in effect.
- Reading and Writing Placement for Native English Speakers
- ELS Reading and Writing Placement for Non-Native English Speakers
Other ways to meet writing proficiency requirements:
- 2.6 cumulative non-weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent, with a minimum of 7 high school semesters. Proof of GPA must be provided.*
- ACT composite score of 20 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- SAT total score of 950 or higher. Proof of score must be provided. (NEW exam starting March 2016)
- TOEFL score of 550 paper/pencil, 213 computer-based or 79 internet-based. Proof of score must be provided.
- IELTS score of 6.5 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- ACCUPLACER Writing test transferred from another institution with minimum cut-off score. Official score report required.
*Grade point average must be from a high school in the United States or a country with English as an official language. Special education and ESL/ELS coursework are not eligible. Students who attended more than one high school must submit transcripts from all high schools and GPA will be recalculated.
Note: For students applying to a Health Science program, the Writing Placement test may be required regardless of the above exemptions. See program packet for details. Students applying to Engineering Pathways are required to take the Math placement test. Students will also need to take a Reading and Writing placement test unless they have a qualifying ACT or SAT score.
*RCR = Reading Competency Requirement. The RCR is met by placing in category 1 for the ACCUPLACER Reading Placement Test.
ACCUPLACER Writing Placement Scores (Native Speakers)
|Category||Next Generation ACCUPLACER
Score Effective Oct. 29, 2018
|Classic ACCUPLACER Score||Course Placement|
|1||250 - 300||75 - 120||English 1101 or 1105 (with RCR met)|
|2||237 - 249||58 - 74||English 0492|
|3||200 - 236||30 - 57||English 0491|
|4||n/a||20 - 29||English 0490|