Reading Placement Policies and Procedures
- Reading and Writing Placement for Native English Speakers
- ELS Reading and Writing Placement for Non-Native English Speakers
Other ways to meet reading proficiency requirements:
- College-level credit totaling 12 semester hours with at least a “C” average.
- Associate degree, BA/BS degree, Graduate degree.
- 2.6 cumulative non-weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale, 3.25 GPA on a 5.0 scale, with a minimum of 7 high school semesters. Proof of GPA must be provided.*
- ACT composite score of 20 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- SAT total score of 950 or higher. Proof of score must be provided. (NEW exam starting March 2016)
- SAT verbal/critical reading score of 500. Proof of score must be provided. (OLD exam prior to March 2016)
- TOEFL score of 550 paper/pencil, 213 computer-based or 79 Internet-based. Proof of score must be provided.
- IELTS score of 6.5 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- ACCUPLACER Reading test transferred from another institution with minimum cut–off score. Official score report required.
* Grade point average must be from a high school in the United States or a country with English as an official language. Special education and ESL/ELS coursework are not eligible. Students who attended more than one high school must submit transcripts from all high schools and GPA will be recalculated.
Note: For students applying to a Health Science program, the Reading Placement test may be required regardless of the above exemptions. See program packet for details. Students applying to Engineering Pathways are required to take the Math placement test. Students will also need to take a Reading and Writing placement test unless they have a qualifying ACT or SAT score.
ACCUPLACER Reading Placement Scores (Native Speaker)
|Category||Next Generation Accuplacer Score
Effective Oct. 29, 2018
|Classic ACCUPLACER Score||Course Placement|
|1||246 - 300||70 - 120||Reading Competency Requirement (RCR) met|
|2||235 - 245||53 - 69||English 0482|
|3||222 - 234||33 - 52||English 0481|
|4||200 - 221||20 - 32||English 0480|