To prepare competent entry-level surgical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge),
psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains.
- To provide a safe and caring environment, in which working as a part of the surgical
team can provide a positive outcome for the patient.
- To provide the student with the information and skills necessary to demonstrate the
ability to apply advance knowledge of normal and pathological surgical anatomy and
- To stimulate the ability to demonstrate effective communication about the surgeon's
preferences and specific patient's need to the surgical team such as suture needs,
specialty supplies and instrumentation, and equipment.
- To develop an understanding of and demonstrate the ability to provide preoperative
skills such as assessing patient information, history, preoperative tests (EKG, EEG,
EMG, lab values, diagnostic imaging), safety measures, biopsy results, positioning
- To develop a comprehension of, in order to display, the ability to provide intraoperative
skills such as visualization, trocar insertion, injection of local anesthetics, hemostasis,
tissue handling, placement and securing of wound drains, and closure of body planes.
- To acquire the knowledge necessary to demonstrate the ability to provide postoperative
skills in patient care such as dressing application, patient transfer and transport,
transfer of care, and monitoring for immediate complications.
- To learn the responsibilities of a team member and to apply the roles of a surgical
- To provide an environment that encourages individual motivation and growth.
- To stimulate technical and critical thinking and provide students with problem solving
skills. To provide patient care applying knowledge to practice by incorporating this
technical and critical thinking along with clinical reasoning.
- To recognize and to stimulate leadership qualities and abilities promoting professionalism
in the field of surgical assisting.
Program Contact Information
Please visit the Program Contacts page for detailed information.