The field is for you if you:
- Have an assertive personality.
- Are able to stand for long periods of time.
- Have good manual dexterity.
- Can multi-task.
- Are organized and detail oriented.
You will need to have:
- Knowledge of basic surgical instrumentation/equipment.
- Knowledge of aseptic techniques.
- Knowledge of surgical procedures, anatomy, physiology and medical terminology.
Locations may include: operating room of acute care facilities or surgical centers, OB department of acute care, or sterile processing area.
Associate's Degree: Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Surgical Technology
Professional Certification: Must receive certificate from an accredited program in order to sit for the certification exam. Becoming certified makes you a Surgical Technologist.
Certified Surgical Technologist
- Associate in Applied Science Degree
Helps continue his/her education
As many sciences as possible with a focus on Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Medical Terminology.