Knowledge about how governments work and the way in which political decisions affect our lives benefits everyone and is expected by many employers. While few jobs are restricted to political scientists only, an associate's or bachelor's degree in political science is useful in many different settings.
Federal, state and local governments employ almost 16 million people. A political science background is typical for positions such as administrative assistant, budget officer, immigration inspector or intelligence research specialist.
Other typical careers for political science majors include legal services, law enforcement, the survey research industry and journalism, for political candidates and as a public official. Jobs limited to people with graduate training include teaching positions and upper-level administrative jobs.
The job market for political science majors remains good, especially if students enhance their qualifications by acquiring good communication skills, learning a foreign language or gaining expertise in statistics.
The following files describe in detail the requirements for this program.
Please consult a faculty member listed below before beginning your coursework.
- Political Science, Associate in Arts
When planning your coursework, use the Student Planning Worksheet.
If you are considering this program as an area of study, consult with a faculty member in this field.
- Durkin, James - Adjunct Faculty Codaa, email@example.com, (630)942-2800.
- Enright, William - Adjunct Faculty Codaa, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Goldberg, David - Professor, email@example.com, BIC 2537C, (630)942-3722.
- Heffern Ponicki, Maureen - Assistant Professor, firstname.lastname@example.org, BIC 2537A, (630)942-2012.
- Mouritsen, Melissa - Associate Professor, email@example.com, BIC 2537B, (630)942-2670.
- Rzeszewski, Diane - Adjunct Faculty Codaa, firstname.lastname@example.org, (630)942-2800.
- Sun, Yizhong - Adjunct Faculty Codaa, email@example.com, (630)942-2800.
- Turner, Kimberly - Adjunct Faculty Codaa, firstname.lastname@example.org