Accelerate Your Progress, Simplify Your Assignments
Our Accelerated Learning Program consists of two courses taken in the same semester and taught by the same instructor. The English 0493 course provides extra support and instruction for the work assigned in the English 1101 course.
Here is a short video that can tell you a little more about this great program.
Who Should Enroll in ALP English?
ALP is for students who feel confident in their college-level reading comprehension skills but need additional support on their writing skills. ALP is also well-suited for students who would like support from tutors, learning specialists, counselors, career coaches, and advisors.
ALP is for you if:
- You feel confident in your college-level reading comprehension skills but need additional support on your writing skills
- You would benefit from having more interaction with your professor.
- You are ready for the challenge of college-level courses.
- You have a Category 1 reading placement score or have taken the self-placement to determine your readiness for college-level reading and writing. Complete the Self-Placement Questionnaire.
Who does not need ALP?
Any student who has already met our writing placement requirements can enroll directly into English 1101 should NOT register for English ALP.
Do not register for ALP if you have:
- A non-weighted high school GPA of 2.6 and above or An ACT score of 20 and above
- An SAT score of 950 and above
- An ACCUPLACER score of Reading Category 1 AND Writing Category 1
- An ACCUPLACER score of Reading Category lower than 1
What are the Benefits of Enrolling in ALP English?
You should take ALP English because:
- You'll save time by completing two required English courses in one semester.
- You'll have the same instructor and shared assignments for both courses.
- ALP students enjoy extra support in a classroom community with direct access to college services such as advising.
- Your ALP class will help you build college success strategies and become a more confident learner.
- Research shows that ALP students are more likely to succeed in their college-level English classes than students who take two courses separately.
Registration for English ALP is easy. Simply fill out the ALP Registration Request.
Chair of Developmental English
Chair of Composition
Chair of Literature, Creative Writing and Film