Dental Hygiene Program graduates will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of written and oral communication
- Reveal the ability to properly and completely document and record findings and treatments
properly and completely in patient records.
- Demonstrate the ability to determine appropriate treatment protocol for patients
- Show evidence of having knowledge of the structures of the head and neck and dental
anatomy relating to the proper treatment of a patient
- Demonstrate knowledge of dental hygiene sciences relating to patient assessment, patient
treatment, and patient evaluation
- Show knowledge of the prevention of disease transmission and the use of proper infection
control policies and procedures
- Show the use of caries preventive materials such as fluoride and sealants
- Present knowledge of the physical and chemical properties of dental materials
- Demonstrate knowledge of radiation sciences including radiation physics, biology,
- Demonstrate the ability to expose, process and interpret dental radiographs
- Demonstrate the ability to incorporate the principles of nutrition and biochemistry
into dental hygiene patient care.
- Demonstrate the ability to carry out critical steps in the prevention, preparation,
early recognition and/or appropriate management of common medical emergencies seen
in the dental office.
- Show evidence of having knowledge of periodontal anatomy and the physiology and etiology
of periodontal disease.
- Demonstrate the clinical procedures associated with the management of periodontal
disease and maintenance of periodontal health.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the necessary research methodologies and statistical analysis
needed in the dental hygiene clinical setting.
- Demonstrate the ability to create, implement and evaluate a dental health care program
in the community.
- Show evidence of knowledge of the classifications and varieties of common drugs used
by potential dental patients along with knowing the pharmacologic effects and adverse
- Demonstrate the ability to administer local anesthetic properly.
- Exhibit knowledge of the pharmacokinetics of local and general anesthetic agents and
- Demonstrate knowledge of the professional role as health care provider and member
of the dental team.
Program Contact Information
Please visit the Program Contacts page for detailed information.