Frequently Asked Questions

I am a new student. What if I am uncertain?
If you are uncertain as to your plans to transfer or your other educational goals, it is possible to keep that choice open for about a year (two semesters) of full-time study (or 32 semester hours) and still complete either the Associate in Arts or Associate in Applied Science degree within two years (or 64 semester hours). For both degrees we recommend a combination of both general studies and criminal justice during the first 32 semester hours. This enables students to balance their programs and to keep their options open.

Depending on that choice, the student would then spend the last 32 hours either completing the general studies requirements for the A.A. or combining general studies with Criminal Justice courses for the A.A.S. The certificate courses would apply to either degree program.

Are there any specific courses I should be taking?
Yes. Besides the Criminal Justice courses needed for your chosen course of study, you should enroll in writing courses. The importance of the ability to write effective reports cannot be overemphasized as a quality sought by employers in criminal justice agencies. The more writing courses taken in your studies, the better your chances of enhancing report writing abilities. The quality of that report can greatly affect the outcome of an important case.

Because of this, we strongly recommend that criminal justice students take as many writing courses as possible in their studies. This would include English 1101 and 1102. We also strongly recommend that students planning careers in law enforcement try to incorporate English 1105 (Introduction to Technical Writing) as an elective in addition to the above three courses. This course involves applying writing skills in a report writing format that can be applied to police reports and other similar reports written in criminal justice agencies.

What is the difference between the Criminal Justice program and the Suburban Law Enforcement Academy (SLEA)?
The Criminal Justice program at College of DuPage is an academic program that confers an Associate of Arts degree (transfer), Associate of Applied Science degree (occupational), and a Criminal Justice Certificate (equals one year of college). The student must earn 64 semester hours to receive either degree or 30 semester hours for the certificate.

The Suburban Law Enforcement Academy (SLEA) is a basic police officer training school. It supplies the 11-week basic police training required of all new police officers. The academy is not open to students at large, only to newly sworn police officers. The academy does offer more advanced training courses, but these are also only for sworn police officers. The officers can earn some college credit upon successful completion of the basic academy course.

How do I petition for a degree?
Anyone planning to complete a degree or certificate at College of DuPage must petition the Office of Student Records for that degree two semesters before expected completion. This will provide the student with an official evaluation of college credits and deficiencies that must be completed before the degree is granted. The forms for petitioning are available at the Office of Student Records, Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 2015. Along with course requirements for a degree or certificate, students must have an overall grade point average of at least 2.0 to graduate.


Contact Information

Theodore Darden, Professor
Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center (HEC), Room 1016, (630) 942-2989

Deanna Davisson, Assistant Professor
Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center (HEC), Room 1027, (630) 942-2995

Tauya Forst, Assistant Professor
Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center (HEC), Room 1028, (630) 942-3019

Eric R. Thompson, Professor
Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center (HEC), Room 1029, (630) 942-3360

Social/Behavioral Sciences and the Library Division Office
Berg Instructional Center (BIC), Room 2E06
(630) 942-2010