Two students working on a car with hood up

Frequently Asked Questions

Students can choose between three options:

  • Entry Level Automotive Service Technology Certificate
  • Master Automotive Service Technology Advanced Certificate 
  • Automotive Service Management Certificate
  • Master Automotive Service Technology Associate of Applied Science

The Associate of Applied Science is a college degree that requires taking both occupational classes (automotive) and general education classes such as English, speech, math, physical/life sciences, humanities and social sciences.

The Master Automotive Service Technology Certificate requires only taking occupational classes (automotive).

ASEEF stands for the Automotive Service Excellence Education Foundation. This organization is part of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).

ASE certifies automobile technicians and ASEEF certifies automotive training programs. Prospective students will be trained in the skills and knowledge necessary to pass the ASE exams to become a certified technician.

The ASEEF key to success symbol is a way of comparing automotive training programs. If two programs have the ASEEF key, they are teaching approximately the same topics and skills. Please visit ASEEF for more information.

  • Be sure to code yourself correctly: AUTO.CER.ENTRY for Entry Level Automotive Service Technology, Certificate  AUTO.CER.SERV for Automotive Service Management Certificate and AUTO.AAS.MSTR Master Automotive Service Technology Associate of Applied Science.
  • If you have not taken the ACT, SAT or the TOEFL then you must take a reading placement test.
  • If you have coded yourself as AUTO.CER.ENTRY, then you need to take the math and written English placement test.
  • Lastly, go to the Class Schedule and pick out the classes you need based on FAQ number 7 and register.
  • Please note that when you register you only reserve your seat. You need to pay your tuition to secure your seat for the semester.

All students need to take a reading test unless the student has accomplished one of the following:

  • Completed 12 semester hours of college credit with a C average.
  • Taken the ACT test with a composite score of 20. Proof must be provided.
  • Taken the SAT with a verbal score of 500. Proof must be provided. OR
  • A score of 550 (paper and pencil), 213 (computer), or 79 (internet based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language.

For more information, please visit Testing and Assessment.

Yes. If the student is going to pursue an Associate of Applied Science degree, the student will need to take a reading, math and English (written) placement test. For more information, visit Testing Services.

Students should take any 1100 series class to start: Auto 1100, Auto 1110, Auto 1120, Auto 1131, or Auto 1140. There should be an emphasis on taking the Auto 1131 (Basic Automotive Electricity and Electronics) class as soon as possible as it is a prerequisite for more than half of automotive classes.

No. You may sign up for the wait list for a course in myACCESS, which will send email notification of an open seat, however, the Automotive Service Technology program has a policy that no permit (overload) slips will be issued. This policy is based on quality of instruction, equipment and lab safety.

Due to the popularity of automotive courses at COD and the limited number of seats available in the courses, we recommend that you reference the registration calendar to determine when you are eligible to register and then register as soon as possible.

The registration system at College of DuPage is based on the number of credit hours earned. The more credit hours a student has earned the sooner the registration date for that student. The recommendation is as follows:

  • If you are pursuing an AAS degree: Take some general education classes. For advice on which classes to take, follow the recommendations listed under FAQ number 13, and seek out advice from an automotive instructor.
  • If you are pursuing a certificate: Students in this situation will have a harder time getting into the automotive program but this shouldn't discourage you. Instead, Take a class that is related to automotive technology, such as a beginning welding class, or anything you are interested in to gain some credit hours.

There are several steps to the process. First, send any transcripts, resume, and ASE or manufacturer specific certifications to Tom Robertson via email to review. Tom will contact you once he has had a chance to evaluate your materials to advise on the results and answer any questions. Then you will go to the testing center to get a credit by proficiency form completed, pay for the demonstrated competency fee(s), and drop the form back off with Tom for it to be completed.

Yes, view the required tool list.

Yes. The best way to transfer to a four-year university is to finish an Associate of Applied Science degree at COD. This will allow you to transfer in as a student with junior standing.

You must also make sure that the classes in general education will be transferable to your university of choice. In Illinois, the best way to do this is by looking for classes that have an Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) compliance number. This number is located next to the class description in the college's catalog. By doing this and following the Student Planning Worksheet, students should have no problems transferring to a four-year state school with an automotive bachelor's degree program such as Southern Illinois University (SIU) or Ferris State (Michigan).

COD currently has articulation agreements with Southern Illinois University (SIU) and Ferris State University.

The Auto Lab is located in the Technical Education Center

All of the instructor's offices are also located in the Technical Education Center.

Joe Aranki, Program Coordinator
TEC 1054, (630) 942-2534

Tom Pawl, Program Faculty
TEC 1066, (630) 942-2857

Tom Robertson, Program Faculty
TEC 1064, (630) 942-2439

Matt Shanahan, Program Faculty
TEC 1056 (630) 942-3080

No. The College of DuPage has a cooperative agreement with Waubonsee Community College in Sugar Grove, IL for credit classes in auto body. Contact the Admissions Office for information.

The College of DuPage does offer non-credit auto body courses through the Continuing Education Department.


No. There are only a few motorcycle repair training programs in existence. Most are in southern and western states.

No, but the COD Horticulture program does.

No. The AST program only works on College of DuPage employee vehicles, excluding student workers. Out of respect for the employers of our students, board policy, and insurance we do not work on cars from the general public.

Yes. We are looking for cars that are educationally sound for classes, ideally built within the last 12 years to add to our educational fleet. If you have a vehicle that you are interested in donating, contact either Tom Robertson at (630) 942-2439 or Matt Shanahan at (630) 942-3080 for further details.

COD does not sell donated cars that have been repaired.

Entry Level Automotive Service Technology Certificate 
34 credits

  • Books: $1,000
  • Lab Fees: $520 - $550
  • Tools: $650 - $2,000

Master Automotive Service Technology Advanced Certificate 
50 credits

  • Books: $1,500
  • Lab Fees: : $770 - $825
  • Tools: $650 - $2,000

Master Automotive Service Technology AAS 
64-68 Credits

  • Books: $1,650
  • Lab Fees: $770 - $825
  • Tools: $650 - $2,000

Visit Tuition and Fees for the current tuition rate. 

Tours can be arranged by contacting the program advisor or one of the automotive instructors. Contact information is available below or on the faculty page.

Contact Information

Joe Aranki, Program Coordinator
Technical Education Center (TEC), Room 1054, (630) 942–2534

Thomas Robertson, Professor
Technical Education Center (TEC), Room 1064, (630) 942–2439

Peter Deeman, Program Advisor

Bridget McFarland, Program Support Specialist

Business and Applied Technology Division
Technical Education Center (TEC), Room 1034, (630) 942-2592