The Writing Placement Test is designed to place you in the English Composition course best suited to your skills. Test scores indicate level of proficiency in the use of standard written English, which will be important for success in English 1101/1105 and all other courses requiring college-level writing ability. Eligibility for English 1101/1105 also requires meeting the requirements for Reading Category One.
For placement into English 1101 or 1105, students are required to take the Writing Placement Test unless they have one of the following:
- 2.6 cumulative non-weighted GPA on a 4.0 scale, or equivalent, with a minimum of 7 high school semesters. Proof of GPA must be provided.*
- ACT composite score of 20 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- SAT total score of 950 or higher. Proof of score must be provided. (NEW exam starting March 2016)
- TOEFL score of 550 paper/pencil, 213 computer-based or 79 internet-based. Proof of score must be provided.
- IELTS score of 6.5 or higher. Proof of score must be provided.
- ACCUPLACER Writing test transferred from another institution with minimum cut-off score. Official score report required.
*Grade point average must be from a high school in the United States or a country with English as an official language. Special education and ESL/ELS coursework are not eligible. Students who attended more than one high school must submit transcripts from all high schools and GPA will be recalculated.
Note: For students applying to a Health Science program, the Writing Placement test may be required regardless of the above exemptions. See program packet for details. Students applying to Engineering Pathways are required to take the Math placement test. Students will also need to take a Reading and Writing placement test unless they have a qualifying ACT or SAT score.
If you are required to take the ACCUPLACER writing placement test the cut scores for the Native Speaker Writing tests are shown in the tables below.
*RCR = Reading Competency Requirement. The RCR is met by placing in category 1 for the Reading Placement Test.
Writing Placement Scores (Native Speaker)
|Category||Next Generation ACCUPLACER
Score Effective Oct. 29, 2018
|Classic ACCUPLACER Score||Course Placement|
|1||250 - 300||75 - 120||English 1101 or 1105 (with RCR met)|
|2||237 - 249||58 - 74||English 0492|
|3||200 - 236||30 - 57||English 0491|
|4||n/a||20 - 29||English 0490|