Club Resources

Policy for Student Clubs Showing Movies

Before you do any advertising of your event in which a movie will be shown, you need to make sure you will not be violating any copyright restrictions.

All movie presentations sponsored by student clubs are considered public showings. This applies even if it is an educational film, or you are advertising only on campus, or you are not charging admission.

The vast majority of movies, both feature films and documentaries, require that a public performance license be purchased. The sponsoring student club is responsible for the funding of the purchase of the performance license. The public performance license is required even if the movie is acquired from a personal collection, a rental store, or a library. Proof of purchase of the required license or a license waiver must be provided to the Office of Student Life before any advertising may be done for your event in which a movie will be shown.

Under the Fair Use exemption, only clips of approximately three minutes in length are permitted to be shown by clubs.

The Office of Student Life staff will assist in locating the copyright holder of any film and with the purchase of the public performance license.

Additional Resources:

College of DuPage Library

U.S. Copyright Office

News at COD

More News