Public Information Officer/Media Training
Gain practical experience in the preparation and delivery
of departmental information at media events and press interviews. Discussions include subjects such as the importance of knowing your media market, development of media policies and media relations, rules of professional conduct, challenges of television news, crisis communications and pre-planning and bridging techniques for interview. Conduct location interviews and press releases on a variety of incidents, using the immersive street lab at College of DuPage's Robert J. Miller Homeland Security Education Center. Learn how to communicate through the media on topics such as natural disaster, terrorist acts and major crimes, and gain experience interacting with Chicagoland TV and print journalists.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) and Incident Command System (ICS) considerations
- Freedom of Information Act and Illinois Open Records Act
- Social media, messages and technology
- Changing details in a crisis and getting out good news
- Holding reporters accountable
Suburban Law Enforcement Academy (SLEA) at College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Voice: (630) 942-2677
Fax: (630) 942-3766
2018 College of DuPage