Computer Crimes for the Patrol Officer
In the information age, first responders need to possess basic knowledge of how to
document and investigate a crime committed using a computer or via the Internet. Discuss
the most prevalent crimes, including identity theft, cyberbullying, sexting, Nigerian
419 scams, middleman scams, online auction fraud and sex crimes. Learn how to identify,
obtain, seize and document electronic devices, as well as identify and trace an Internet
Protocol (IP) address. Explore investigative techniques to locate evidence using the
Internet, victim's computer and legal process.
First responders will be provided with resources and methods on how to refer a case to another agency and author a report.
- Examining laws related to cybercrimes
- Examining digital pictures and photos
- Interpreting data and identifying an offender
- Investigative resources, such as the National White Collar Crime Center
- Internet crime prevention
Suburban Law Enforcement Academy (SLEA) at College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd.
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Voice: (630) 942-2677
Fax: (630) 942-3766
2017 College of DuPage