Frequently Asked Questions
How much are classes?
Visit Tuition and Aid for the current tuition rate. Textbooks for classes usually cost approximately $75. If you are in a laboratory class, you will need to purchase some tools and a uniform, and pay a lab fee.
Where can I purchase uniforms, knives and supplies?
Students who are enrolled in any culinary, pastry or management laboratory classes will need to purchase uniforms as part of the class requirements. Knife kits and uniforms must be purchased through the COD bookstore. Cake decorating supplies may be ordered by contacting PME directly. Jackets are custom embroidered and require approximately 2 weeks for delivery. Embroidered items are non-returnable or exchangeable. The bookstore will have sample jackets on hand for students to try for sizing before order/purchase. Please note that there is an up-charge for sizes over 1X.
What degree/certificate program you’re in determines what uniform package you’ll need:
- Culinary Students: chef whites, service uniform, knife kit (Culinary Package + knife kit)
- Pastry Students: chef whites, knife kit, cake decorating kit (Baking & Pastry Package + knife kit & pastry kit from PME)
- Hospitality Students: service uniform (Hospitality Package)
A few things to note:
- While not included in the packages, appropriate shoes are required. Shoes should be sturdy, black, closed toed, and have a non-slip sole. Brands such as Sketchers work shoes, Shoes for Crews, and Dansko clogs are all acceptable options. NO GYM SHOES
- Students should have received their uniforms by the start of class. If this is not possible please contact Chef Tim Meyers at firstname.lastname@example.org or (630) 942-3223.
- Students enrolling in CULIN-1101(Quantity Food Prep I), CULIN-1104 (Cake Decorating), or CULIN-1171 (Baking & Patisserie I) MUST purchase their tools and equipment through the COD bookstore and PME to ensure a consistent student experience.
- Uniforms and supplies will run approximately $500. If you are receiving financial aid, your uniforms and supplies will be covered.
- Textbooks must be purchased prior to the start of class.
The Follett College of DuPage Bookstore is located on campus in the Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 1060.
What to Wear to Class
Students who are enrolled in any culinary, pastry or management laboratory classes will need to purchase uniforms as part of the class requirements.
The food or baking production class uniform consists of the following:
- Black, closed toe, slip-resistant leather shoes
- Comfortable socks
- Black and white checked pants
- Side towel
- Long sleeve chef coat with name and program insignia
- Pocket thermometer
- Knife kit
How many hours will I need to study each week?
We generally tell students that they would need to study about three hours each week for each hour of credit. For example, if you are enrolled in 15 hours of classes, you would need to study about 45 hours each week to do well in your classes.
Where is College of DuPage?
The college is located about 25 miles west of downtown Chicago. See campus maps.
Where are classes?
Classes are held in the Culinary and Hospitality Center.
Is on-campus housing available?
There is no on-campus housing at COD You may contact Student Activities at (630) 942-2243 for further information about the location of a housing listing board.
Are scholarships available?
There are scholarships available throughout the school year.
College of DuPage has transfer agreements with many fine four-year institutions. Please talk to one of the department faculty for a current listing of schools available.
College of DuPage has a transfer agreement plan with the following colleges and universities:
Can I find a job after graduation?
Currently, more jobs exist than employees to fill then. We are very lucky to have many job opportunities in the DuPage County area.
How much money can I make upon graduation?
Graduate salaries are dependent upon several factors: the size of the company, the student's needs for benefits, and the student's work experience. In general, our students will earn an hourly wage ranging from $10 to $12 per hour. If a student is in a managerial position, a salary range of $20,000 to $30,000 per year is not uncommon. Please remember that the opportunities for advancement for well-prepared people are great, as the industry can never meet the demands of employer needs.
Should I join a student chapter of ACF or HSMAI?
Students are encouraged to join their local American Culinary Federation chapter or student chapter of the Hotel Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI). ACF meetings are held monthly around the Chicago area. An educational seminar is followed by networking and a dinner meeting. If you wish to become certified as a culinarian, then you must be a member of the ACF. For students joining HSMAI, the benefits are numerous and helpful toward a career in this industry.
Laura Lerdal, Culinary Market and Lab Coordinator
Anna Gay, Program Support Specialist
Mary Beth Leone, Coordinator, Hospitality
Tim Meyers, Co-Coordinator, Culinary and Baking
David Kramer, Co-Coordinator, Culinary and Baking
Business and Technology Division
Technical Education Center (TEC), Room 1034, (630) 942-2592
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL
60137 (630) 942-2800
2016 College of DuPage