Transferring Credits

Taking online courses can be a great way to prepare to transfer to a four-year college or take care of some required coursework over the summer.

Students Attending Another College or University

Even if you are currently attending another college or university, you still can apply and enroll in online classes at COD. Many students choose to do this over the summer to help them complete the requirements of their degrees in a shorter amount of time.

If you plan do this, you'll want to verify with your college or university that the online course you want to take at COD will fulfill your specific academic program's requirements. You can use online tools such as iTransfer (for schools within Illinois) or Transferology but it is advised that you also speak with an advisor or counselor at your school as well, to ensure that course credit will transfer towards your requirements. Some colleges and universities will want to see a course syllabus, which you can request from the COD instructor teaching the course.

Many COD courses require that a prerequisite be completed prior to enrolling in the course. While you may have completed the prerequisite at another college or university, you will need to provide proof of having completed this prerequisite to College of DuPage. If you have fulfilled the prerequisite by taking a course, the Office of Student Records explains how to provide proof of prerequisite.

In some cases, a prerequisite for taking a course will be a placement test. Visit the placement testing site to see which courses require testing, learn how to schedule these tests and what your score will mean with regard to your ability to take courses at COD. 

After you complete your coursework at COD, you will need to transfer the credit back to your home college or university. To do this, you will need to have a transcript sent to your school. You can request a transcript online through myACCESS or you can follow the instructions provided by The Office of Student Records to order a transcript through the mail.

Students Planning to Transfer to a Four-Year College

Some students who enroll at COD online plan to use their coursework or associate degree towards a four-year program at another college or university. Before enrolling at COD, students should look at potential transfer schools and degree programs to determine where they would like to end up. This is a critical step, because students will need to ensure that all or most of the coursework they complete at COD will transfer to a new college and count towards prerequisites for the four-year degree students want to complete. 

You can use online tools such as iTransfer (for schools within Illinois) or Transferology but it is recommended that you also speak with an advisor or counselor at the College of DuPage when you begin your degree program. 

Some schools have made the transfer process easy through partnerships with COD including National-Louis University, Benedictine University, Lewis University, Aurora University and numerous other Illinois state colleges and universities. Some of these schools also participate in the College's 3+1 Degree Program

Once you are ready to transfer, you will need to request your transcripts. You can do this online through myACCESS or through the Office of Student Records. In some cases, students will be able to transfer all of the credits earned in their associate degree program towards a 4-year degree.

Contact Information

For additional questions about preparing to transfer courses, visit the Transfer Program website. For questions regarding transfer agreements COD has with other institutions, please contact Counseling and Advising, Student Services Center (SSC), Room 3200, (630) 942-2259.

College of DuPage Online

425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL

60137 (630) 942-2490

  2018 College of DuPage