COD Continuing Education Hosts ‘Sage Series’ Lectures this Spring
By Mike McKissack
Continuing Education at College of DuPage will host “Sage Series” lectures this spring on the College’s Glen Ellyn campus, 425 Fawell Blvd.
Part of Continuing Education’s Lifelong Learning program, the free “Sage Series” features local experts presenting information on a variety of topics, including extrasolar planets, the Stonewall riots and “The Twilight Zone.”
- “Like Water for Chocolate” Film and Discussion: Free screening and discussion of this 1992 film directed by Alfonso Arau.
Friday, Feb. 9, 9 a.m. to noon.
- Extrasolar Planets: Led by COD astronomy professor Joe DalSanto, attendees will learn how astronomers
have found and begun exploring some of the thousands of extrasolar planets in recent
Saturday, Feb. 10, 7:30 to 9 p.m.
- “A Bite of China:” A Perfect Blend of Five Flavors: Explore the history of food, eating and cooking in China.
Friday, Feb. 16, 1 to 3 p.m.
- “The Twilight Zone:” Six Degrees of Separation: Accompanied by video from the classic 1959 to 1964 series, this lecture explores
The Twilight Zone’s connections with other shows, movies and media.
Friday, Feb. 16, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Inside COD’s Culinary and Hospitality Center: Tour the College’s state-of-the-art facility with an inside look at the skills kitchen,
chocolate room, Culinary Market and Bake Shop, as well as the College’s boutique hotel.
Lunch is optional and not included in the course. Attendees who plan to stay for lunch
following the tour must make reservations for the College’s student-run Waterleaf
restaurant in advance.
Thursday, March 1, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Travel the World With Ease: Whether planning a road trip to Michigan or an adventure in Australia, attendees
will learn to get the greatest value for their money.
Friday, March 23, 1 to 3 p.m.
- Less Is More: Minimalist Masterpieces of Mies van der Rohe in Chicago: Explore the groundbreaking works of one of the most influential architects of the
Friday, April 13, 1 to 3 p.m.
- The Stonewall Uprising and the Beginnings of the LGBT Rights Movement: Explore what is known and what remains unknown about this critical event in LGBT
Friday, April 27, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Behind the Scenes at WDCB Public Radio: Go behind-the-scenes of the College’s public radio jazz station with Station Manager
Dan Bindert and learn about the programs and music WDCB has been broadcasting since
Friday, May 4, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Registration for these free classes is required. Click here or call (630) 942-2208 for more information and to register. The Lifelong Learning Institute offers a mix of courses, workshops, seminars and lectures in a wide range of topic areas, such as art and hobby, health and wellness, history, the humanities and more. Click here for more information.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2018 College of DuPage