Learn About History, Science and Other Topics This Fall at Free COD Lectures
By Mike McKissack
The Continuing Education program at College of DuPage will host “Sage Series” lectures and “Lunch Break Lectures” on a variety of subjects this fall on the College’s Glen Ellyn campus, 425 Fawell Blvd.
Part of Continuing Education’s Lifelong Learning program, the free “Sage Series” features local experts presenting information on black holes, WDCB 90.9 Radio station, “The Twilight Zone” and more. Registration for Sage Series classes is required.
This semester’s offerings include:
- "A Bite of China: Staple Food": Explore the history of food, eating and cooking in China.
Friday, Sept. 21, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Behind the Scenes at the COD Greenhouse: A personalized behind-the-scenes tour of the COD Greenhouse with Greenhouse Supervisor
Friday, Nov. 16, 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Behind the Scenes at the MAC: A personalized behind-the-scenes tour of the MAC with Director Diana Martinez, followed
by lunch (separate fee) at the student-run Waterleaf restaurant.
Thursday, Oct. 4, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Behind the Scenes at WDCB Public Radio: Go behind-the-scenes of the College’s public radio jazz station with Station Manager
Dan Bindert and learn about the programs and music WDCB has been broadcasting since
Friday, Sept. 28, 10 a.m. to noon.
- Black Holes: Led by COD Astronomy Professor Joe DalSanto, attendees will explore the nature of
black holes and examine other questions regarding one of science’s greatest mysteries.
Saturday, Nov. 10, 7:30 to 9 p.m.
- “The Twilight Zone:” Six Degrees of Separation: Accompanied by video from the classic 1959 to 1964 series, this lecture explores
“The Twilight Zone’s” connections with other shows, movies and media.
Friday, Dec. 7, 10 a.m. to noon.
Lunch Break Lectures feature experts from the College’s Continuing Education program discussing a variety of topics. Lectures are from noon to 1 p.m. on select Wednesdays, Aug. 22 through Dec. 12, in the Student Resource Center, Room 1127. Registration is recommended.
Fall offerings include:
- How the Supreme Court Works
Wednesday, Aug. 22
- The Plantagenets
Wednesday, Sept. 5
- The Trojan War: Fact vs. Fiction
Wednesday, Sept. 19
- Historic Place Names in Chicago: Dearborn Street
Wednesday, Oct. 3
- The Tudors
Wednesday, Oct. 17
- Confederate Cavalry in the Civil War
Wednesday, Oct. 31
- “Defiance” by John Patrick Shanley and the BTE
Wednesday, Nov. 14
- Walt Whitman: Does Sexuality Matter
Wednesday, Nov. 28
- The Stuarts
Wednesday, Dec. 12
Click here or call (630) 942-2208 for more information and to register for any Sage Series classes or Lunch Break Lectures.
The Lifelong Learning Institute offers a mix of courses, workshops, seminars and lectures in a wide range of topic areas, such as art and hobby, health and wellness, history, the humanities and more. Click here for more information.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2018 College of DuPage