Get Your Geek On at COD’s Third Annual STEMCON Event April 28
By Mike McKissack
College of DuPage hosts STEMCON, an interactive, fun and free celebration of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, April 28, in the PE Center Arena on the College’s Glen Ellyn campus, 425 Fawell Blvd.,
Participants of all ages will have the opportunity to learn about STEM in an approachable, layperson format with dozens of hands-on activities. Here are just a few of the 60 activities planned for 2018 STEMCON:
- Learn about the design processes of video games
- Build Lego moving models, interact with NXT Robots and learn basic Python coding
- Learn about the building processes of robots
- Take a closer look at the real world of crime solving through hands-on activities, including how to classify and identify a fingerprinting investigation
- Assemble an LED circuit that you can wear and take home.
- Explore the connections between the liberal arts and STEM through a range of hands-on activities
- Learn about the physics of flight with a real aircraft on hand
- Try on the cold weather gear worn by researchers at the South Pole and see an IceCube light sensor.
- Learn about the complex and well-designed world of proteins
- View how river systems are made and shores are created over hundreds of thousands of years (in a few minutes)
Click here for a full list of hands-on booths and activities at STEMCON.
Featured speakers include The Field Museum's “Chief Curiosity Correspondent” Emily Graslie with her talk “Curiosity as a Catalyst;” COD Astronomy Professor Joe DalSanto discussing how the study of gravitational waves provides a new view of the universe, and Fermilab’s Jerry Zimmerman “Mr. Freeze” with a fun and exciting demonstration of cryogenics.
STEMCON is funded pursuant to a grant from the Illinois Community College Board and funded partially through the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006.
College of DuPage
425 Fawell Blvd., Glen Ellyn IL, 60137
(630) 942-2800 (Main)
(630) 942-3000 (Student Services)
2018 College of DuPage