Psychology Research Guide
Books, Videos and Other Audiovisual Items
Articles in Magazines, Journals, and Newspapers
You must have a valid College of DuPage library card to access the article databases from off-campus. A complete list of psychology databases is available here.
- MOST IMPORTANT DATABASE is PsycINFO (1887-present) References and abstracts to professional journals in psychology and related fields. Some articles are available full-text or online. There are also references and abstracts for book chapters, dissertations, and conference papers. Use the Thesaurus of Psychological Index Terms (located in the library and online in PsycINFO) to locate acceptable psychological terms for your research topic.
- Academic OneFile (1980-present). References and abstracts to articles from 3,000 magazines and professional journals covering a variety of topic areas including psychology. Many articles are online or full-text.
- Academic Search Premier (1984-present) References and abstracts to articles from about 4500 magazines and professional journals covering a variety of topics including psychology. Many articles are online or full-text.
- Classics in the History of Psychology, from York University in Toronto, Canada. The official abstract for this resource states that it includes the full texts of a large number of historically significant public domain documents from the scholarly literary of psychology and allied disciplines.
- PILOTS: Published International Literature on Traumatic Stress. An index to the literature, not too many full text links. From the U.S. National Center for PTSD.
- PsycARTICLES (1894-present) References, abstracts, and full text of 60 peer reviewed psychology journals, most of which are published by the American Psychological Association.
- PSYCHIATRY ONLINE. From the APA, it includes the DSM-V, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.
- Research in Action from the American Psychological Association. This provides summaries of the important findings, significance, and practical applications of psychological issues and procedures of broad subject areas, adapted from scholarly peer-reviewed journals.
- Social Pyschology Network. For the Category of Interest, select PUBLICATIONS. Then down below that you can Limit the Results to PDF files for full text articles and reports.
- World Database of Happiness: A Continuous Register of Scientific Research on the Subject Appreication of Life.
- NEWSPAPER DATABASES at COD. Fulltext articles from the Chicago Tribue, New York Times, and others.
- How do I find the whole article in PsycINFO? http://www.cod.edu/library/libweb/Fitzwater/wholearticlepsych.htm
- PsycINFO User Guide. Will help you learn the best ways to search PsycINFO.
- Explanation of the Difference between Journals and Magazines
- How to Read a Psychology Research Article
- Order the article you need from another Library (Interlibrary Loan)
For your psychology course papers and projects, be sure to evaluate the Web sites that you find by using a search engine like Google or Yahoo. Use the C.O.D. Library's "Evaluating Web Sites" Web page to determine the reliability of a Web site.
- Psych Web
Includes links to classic psychology books, career information, university and college psychology departments, other "megalists" of Web sources, and online psychology journals.
- American Psychological Association Includes selected stories on recent research studies taken from APA's monthly bulletin; articles on current topics in the media; links to information about aging, depression, AIDS, parenting, and psychology and the law; full texts of selected articles from APA journals; and career and psychology education information for students. http://www.apa.org
- Current Topics in Psychology
Provides full-text sources drawn from various kinds of publications for professionals, parents, and students.
- Forensic Psychology. This has a wide variety of information for mental health, criminal justice, social work and human services.
- Mental Help Net A full-text resource for information regarding mental health, mental illness, and various treatments. Includes an extensive "self-help" section. http://mentalhelp.net/
- National Institute of Mental Health Click on "Health Information" for information on mental disorders.
- MEDLINEplus National Library of Medicine: Mental Health
Latest news, overviews, diagnosis/symptoms, treatment, clinical trials, specific conditions/aspects, alternative therapy, nutrition, statistics, etc.
- PsychScholar: A Collection of Web Resources for Psychological Scholars and Budding Psychological Scholars.
Portal to a wealth of online psychology resource. Check out the study aids and tutorials under the "Studying and Classes" section.
- Social Psychology Network
Claims to be the largest social psychology database on the Internet. http://www.socialpsychology.org
- Yahoo's Index of Psychology Sites
Search by subject categories or do a keyword search to locate a broad range of information sources on the Internet. http://www.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Psychology
Topic Selection and Writing a Paper
- Browse the psychology encyclopedias listed above for topic ideas.
- Writing Papers in Psychology.
BF 76.7 .R67 2009
- Writing With Style: APA Style Made Easy.
General BF76.8 .S977 2005
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association [APA]
The "Bible" for APA style papers and reference lists.
Reference & General BF 76.7.P83 2001 APA Style Guide to Electronic Resources [electronic book]
Reference & General BF 76.7 .P832APA: The Easy Way!
- General BF 76.7. H68 2007 Concise Rules of APA Style
Reference & General BF 76.7 .C66 2005 APA Style Helper: Software for New Writers in the Behavioral Sciences
Use on your computer to create a APA style paper and reference list.
Reference, General & Circulation Desk BF76.6 .P832 2005 [CD-ROM]
- More help from the C.O.D. Library with citing sources using APA style.
Psychology Videos & DVDs
Video/DVD Title List Supplement 2004 - 2009
Psychology 1140 Videos & DVDs
Psychology 2230 Videos & DVDs
Psychology 2233 Videos & DVDs
Psychology 2240 Videos & DVDs
Psychology 2260 Videos & DVDs
Searching for Psychology Sources Worksheet
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
(630) 942-2279 Office: SRC 3035 firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference Desk: (630) 942-3364
C.O.D. Library Web site http://www.cod.edu/library
Ask a Librarian for Research Help STUDENT SURVEY FORM