Oceanography and Hydrology Research Guide
Databases: Links to databases indexing magazine, journal and newspaper articles
Library Catalogs: Books, videos and other audiovisuals
Reference Works: Find backgound information, illustrations and data
- Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences . 6 vols . Reference GC 9 .E58 2001
- Encyclopedia of the Sea. Reference GC 9 .E38 2000
- Encyclopedia of Water Science. Reference S 494.5 .W3 E54 2003
- Facts on File Dictionary of Marine Science. Reference GC 9 .F29 2001
- National Geographic Atlas of the Ocean . Reference QG 2800 .E2 2001
- Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater : Including Bottom Sediments and Sludges. Reference QD 142 .S7 1998
- Water Encyclopedia . 5 v. Reference TD 345 .L393 2005 and online
- World Atlas of the Oceans . Reference G 2800 .W67 2001
Internet Science Sites: Major science gateways
- DLESE: Digital Libary for Earth Science Information
Access to reviewed internet sites with educational information and data sets for all levels of earth science instruction. Choose grade leve or resource type or browse resources and collections by main topic.
Comprehensive search engine for science-specific topics. Results cite Science Web sites and provide abstracts from Medline, Science Direct, U.S. Patent office documents and more.
The gateway to government science information. Provides access to over 47 million pages of government science information from 30 databases and 1700 websites, many part of the "deep web" that is inaccesible to search engines.
Internet Ocanography and Hydrology Sites
- Marine Realms Information Bank
From the U.S. Geological Survey Coastal and Marine Geology Program at Woods Hole, this site provides links to governmental, academic, and some private company resources and documents. Browse by topic list, click on map location, or type in keyword search to find information of interest.
- Marine Science Resources on the Internet
An internet website guide from the Association of College and Research Libraries.
- National Geophysical Data Center Marine Geology and Geophysics
From the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Geophysical Data Center, descriptions, and, in many cases, on-line access to bathymetry, geophysics and geological data.
- National Ocean Service
Data, publications, and on-line tutorials related to oceans, coasts. amd navigation.
- National Oceanographic Data Center
Provides access to global physical, chemical, and biological oceanographic data sets for use in research.
- Ocean Explorer
Another NOAA website for public access to current information on NOAA scientific and educational explorations and activities in the oceans of the world.
- Ocean World
From Texas A&M, informative, illustrated guides to many topics in oceanography.
- Office of Naval Research Oceanography
Animations and drawings help explain many concepts related to the physical and biological aspects of the ocean along with the role of the Navy in marine exploration.
- Physical Oceanography DAAC
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory's site linking users to data on the physical state of the ocean such as surface temperature, ocean surface topography, and a variety of satellite products, some of which are browsable on the site, others must be ordered.
- Seafriends Oceanography
Well-illuistrated tutorials on many aspects of oceanography. Special focus on New Zealand..
- WINDandSEA: An Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences Internet Locator
Over 1,000 selected links to science and policy sites for oceanography, climate, weather, and related environmental topics.
- Virtual Library: Oceanography
Exhaustive list of links to universities, research institutes, and governmental agencies worldwide which have websites to provide oceanography information on the web.
- Yahoo's Index of Oceanography Links
Search for information by oceanography subject categories or by keyword.
- EPA Ground Water Primer
Web version of EPA guide to the nature of ground water and the principles of groundwater protection.
- Hydrology Web
Gateway to hydrology resources on the web with comprehensive list of links.
- International Year of Freshwater, 2003
Links to websites, data, photos, learning activities and more as part of the United Nations-sponsored Year of Freshwater, 2003 .
- National Snow and Ice Data
Cryospheric data and research information from
the University of Colorado Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences
- U.S. Geological Survey Water Resources of the United States
Information on ground and surface water, water quality measures, and statistics on water use from the U.S.G.S. inf the form of data, maps, publications on the web, and more.
- Yahoo's Index of Hydrology Links
Search for information by hydrology subject categories or by keyword.
Citing sources: MLA and APA formats
Worksheets: in development