Meteorology Research Guide
Databases: Links to databases indexing magazine, journal and newspaper articles
Library Catalogs: Books, videos and other audiovisuals
Reference Works: Find backgound information, illustrations and data
- Climate Atlas of Illinois. Reference QC 984 .I5 C5 2004
- Climatological Data. Illinois. Reference QC 983 .A5.
- Dictionary of Global Climate Change . Reference QC 981.8 .C5 M38 1992 and online
- Encyclopedia of Atmospheric Sciences . 6 vols . Reference QC 854 .E52 2003
- Encyclopedia of Climate and Weather . Reference Q C 854 .E523 1996
- Encyclopedia of Hurricanes, Typhoons, and Cyclones . Reference QC 944 .L66 2008
- Encyclopedia of Weather and Climate . 2 vols. Reference QC 854 .A45 2007
- Encyclopedia of World Climatology. Reference QC 854 .E553 2005
- Glossary of Meteorology . Reference QC 854 .G55 2000
- Handbook of Weather, Climate, and Water: Atmospheric Chemistry, Hydrology, and Societal Impacts. Online
- Macmillan Encyclopedia of Weather . Reference QC 854 .S 74 2001
- Significant Tornadoes, 1680-1991 and Update 1992-1995 . Reference QC 955.5 .U5 G75
- Weather America: a Thirty-Year Summary of Statistical Weather Data and Rankings .
Reference QC 983 .W385 2001
- Weather and Climate on File. Reference QC 864 .W43 2001
- Weather of U.S. Cities . Reference QC 983 .W4 1996
Internet Science Sites: Major science gateways
- DLESE: Digital Libary for Earth Science Information
Access to reviewed internet sites with educational information and data sets for all levels of earth science instruction. Choose grade leve or resource type or browse resources and collections by main topic.
Comprehensive search engine for science-specific topics. Results cite Science Web sites and provide abstracts from Medline, Science Direct, U.S. Patent office documents and more.
The gateway to government science information. Provides access to over 47 million pages of government science information from 30 databases and 1700 websites, many part of the "deep web" that is inaccesible to search engines.
Internet Meteorology Sites
- College of DuPage Weather Page
From the Department of Meteorology at College of DuPage, this site includes satellite images, radar, and local forecasts tailored for the DuPage County region, as well as useful links to other weather sites.
- Global Change Master Directory
Provides access to Earth science data sets and services relevant to the global change and Earth science research from agencies worldwide. Lists more than 15,000 descriptions of Earth science data sets and services covering all aspects of Earth and environmental sciences.
- Illinois State Climatologist Office
Historical summaries, climate maps, tornadoes and other climatological data unique to Illinois.
- JPL/NASA Earth Watch
Reports on climate change, weather, and environmental effects of human activities based on data from spacecraft and instruments aboard NASA satellites.
- Lightning and Atmospheric Electricity Research at the Global Hydrology and Climate Center
A primer on the history and science of lightning studies, as well as data from the GHCC's Lightning Team.
- Midwestern Regional Climate Center
The MRCC serves the nine-state Midwest region (Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, and Wisconsin) and provides historical data from observation stations across the region, along with useful links to climate and weather internet resources.
- National Weather Service
Division of NOAA providing weather forecasts, satellite and radar images, outlooks, and weather warnings.
- NOAA: National Atmospheric and Oceanic Administration
The government agency that oversees weather forecasting and research, climate studies, satellite imaging, and ocean and coastal mapping and research. Check the Site Map first to see the huge variety of weather, climate, and environmental pages available.
- NCAR Real-time Weather Data
From the National Center for Atmospheric Research, visuals and reports of current satellite, radar, surface, upper air, and forecasts for the U.S.
- University of Illinois Department of Atmospheric Sciences
Illinois and U.S. weather, multimedia instructional modules for many meteorological topics under "Weather World 2010," data and images from the Convective Storms Group, and more.
- WINDandSEA: An Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences Internet Locator
Over 1,000 selected links to science and policy sites for climate, weather, oceanography and related environmental topics.
- Yahoo's Index of Meteorology Links
Search for information by Meteorology-related subject categories or by keyword.
Citing sources: MLA and APA formats