Environment and Ecology Research Guide
Databases: Links to databases indexing magazine, journal and newspaper articles
Library Catalogs: Books, videos and other audiovisuals
Reference Works: Find backgound information, illustrations and data
Environment and Environmental Issues
- American Environmental Leaders: From Colonial Times to the Present . 2 vols.
Reference aGE 55 .B43 2000
- Beacham's Guide to the Endangered Species of North America. 6 vols. Reference QH 77 .N56 B43 2001
- Dictionary of Environmental Science and Technology Credo Reference Online
- Encyclopedia of Endangered Species. 2 vols.
Reference QH 75 .A1 E6
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Biology. 3 vols. Reference QH 540.4 .E52
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Issues. 3 vols. Reference GE 10 .E52 2000
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Studies. Reference TD 9 .A84 2001
- Encyclopedia of Global Change . 2 vols. Reference GE 149 .E47 2002
- Encyclopediua of Global Environmental Change. 5 vols. Reference GE 149 .E443 2002
- Endangered and Threatened Species of Illinois: Status and Distribution.
Internet update at http://dnr.state.il.us/espb/index.htm
Reference QH 76.5 .I3 E52 1991
- Endangered Species. 3 vols. Reference QL 83 .N35 2004
- Environment on File . Reference QH 541 .M64 E58
- Environmental Encyclopedia . Reference GE 10 .E58 2003
- Facts on File Dictionary of Environmental Science. Reference GE 10 .F33 2001
- Habitats and Ecosystems: and Encyclopedia of Endangered America .
Reference QH 76 .C73 1999
- Man-Made Catastrophes. Reference D 24 .D38 2002
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Environmental Pollution . 2 vols. Reference TD 173 .M48 1999
Videorecording Set: View important concepts in Environmental Science
Internet Science Sites: Major science gateways
Comprehensive search engine for science-specific topics. Results cite Science Web sites and provide abstracts from Medline, Science Direct, U.S. Patent office documents and more.
The gateway to government science information. Provides access to over 47 million pages of government science information from 30 databases and 1700 websites, many part of the "deep web" that is inaccesible to search engines.
- HighWire Press
A division of the Stanford University Libraries, this is the largest repository of free full-text life science articles in the world. Search for PubMed articles, access the contents of 780 HighWire hosted journals, and find listings in other free and pay-for-view sources.
Internet Ecology Sites
Internet Environmental Sites
- Biodiversity and Conservation
Hypertextbook for University of California-Irvine Biological Conservation course. Includes information organized into 16 chapters with numerous weblinks.
- Biodiversity Hotspots
Information about, conservation threats and useful links relating to the 25 areas on earth with the greatest diversity of species.
- Chicago Wilderness
Informative guides on where to find natural areas such as
prairies, forests, wetlands and dunes
in the Chicago area, biodiversity protection resources, and how to get involved in protecting local habitats.
- Chicago Environmental Network
Connections to over 300 environmental and natural resource organizations in the Chicago Region with a guide to volunteer activities, job and internship opportunities, and a list of all the organizations in CEN including mission statement and links to sources for more information.
- Ecological Topics : National Biological Information Infrastructure
Background on such environmental issues as biodiversity, invasive species, and amphibian declines.
- EarthTrends: the Environmental Information Portal
World Resources Institute-sponsored guide to important worldwide issues related to the environment.
- Endangered and Threatened Species of Illinois: Status and Distribution
List of threatened and endangered species from the Illinois Endangered Species Protection Board.
- Environmental Sites on the Internet
From the Royal Institute of technology in Stockholm, Sweden, a comprehensive gateway to websites related to various aspects of environmental studies.
- National Library for the Environment
Coverage of "environmental hot topics," concise reports from the Congressional Research Service of the Library of Congress plus a gateway to thousands of links on a site maintained by the National Council for Science and the Environment.
Information about the plants and animals in hundreds of ecosystems, including rare and endangered species.
- Renewable Energy Policy Project/Center for Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technology
Guides to various types of renewable energy technologies from such sources as wind, sun, and water.
- Soil Surveys from USDA's National Resources Conservation Service
Maps and data on soils of over 95% of U.S. counties.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Official website of the federal agency charged with protecting the environment. Includes fact sheets, government reports, and issue discussion sites on many environmental topics..
- Yahoo's Index of Environmental and Nature Links
Find links to information organized by major environmental topic.
Citing sources: MLA, APA and CBE (Biology) formats