Education Research Guide
Books and Videos/DVDs
- C.O.D. Library Catalog: the C.O.D. Library's collection only
- I-Share: the collections of 65 Illinois libraries
- WorldCat: the collections of libraries in this country and around the world
- Other catalogs at area public and college libraries
Magazine and Journal Articles
You must have a valid College of DuPage library card to access these article databases from off-campus. For a complete list of Education Research Databases click here.
- ERIC--First Search (1966- present) References and abstracts for over 750 education professional journals and thousands of documents including curriculum materials, conference papers and government reports. Some articles are available full-text or online. Use the Thesaurus of ERIC Descriptors in the Library to identify the correct educational terms to use in your search. (You can also look up your correct terms in ERIC using the "Subjects" button).
- ERIC--EBSCO This is the same database as the one listed above, but from a different company. Same content, but you may find that some full-text journal articles that you are not able to locate in the ERIC database from FirstSearch.
- ERIC Database Online Tutorials
The ERIC Video Series (6 parts) has been especially developed to assist Education 1100 students with their research projects. Watch only the ones you need or go through each video in the series for a complete understanding of how to effectively use the ERIC database.
- ERIC Advanced Search Example (PDF)
- How Do I Find the Whole Article in ERIC? http://www.cod.edu/library/libweb/Fitzwater/wholearticleeduc.htm
- Academic Search Premier (1984-present) References and abstracts to articles from about 4,500 magazines and professional journals. Many articles are online or full-text.
- Academic OneFile (1980-present) References and abstracts to articles in about 3,000 magazines and professional journals in a variety of subject areas. Many articles are online or full-text.
- Education Journals in the C.O.D. Library
- Order an article that you need from another library (Interlibrary Loan) http://www.cod.edu/library/libweb/fitzwater/ILLrequest.htm
- American School Directory. A directory of America's K-12 public and private schools. Contains addresses, phone numbers, key administrators, maps, calendars and much more. http://www.asd.com/
- Educators Reference Desk. Ask a question pertaining to education and you'll receive a personal e-mail response.Includes AskERIC Virtual Library with lesson plans, InfoGuides, links to listservs, and much more. You may also connect to ERIC (see above) from this site. http://www.eduref.org/
Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators. Sponsored by Discovery Channel and compiled by librarian and educator Kathy Schrock, this site is still another very good "list of lists" covering a variety of topic areas including education.
Designed for teachers to enhance curriculum and professional development.
- National Center for Education Statistics. Provides full-text access to the two of best sources of education statistics published by the government, Digest of Education Statistics and The Condition of Education. Includes a "Fast Facts" section for facts on timely education topics. http://nces.ed.gov/annuals/
- Yahoo's Index of Education Links. Use the Yahoo search engine, select the "Education" category, and search on your specific education topic to locate a variety of Web sites. http://www.yahoo.com/Education
- Illinois Learning Standards. The standards
define what students in all Illinois public schools should know and be able to do in the seven core areas as a result of their elementary and secondary schooling.
- Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association [APA].
The "Bible" for APA style papers and reference lists.
Reference & General BF 76.7.P83 2001
- APA Style Guide to Electronic References [electronic book]
Reference & General BF 76.7 .P832
- Concise Rules of APA Style.
Reference & General BF 76.7 .C66 2005
- APA Style Helper: Software for New Writers in the Behavioral Sciences
Use on your computer to create a APA style paper and reference list.
Reference, General & Circulation Desk BF76.6 .P832 2005 [CD-ROM]
- COD Library help with citing sources in MLA and APA styles
Subject List http://www.cod.edu/library/libweb/Fitzwater/educvideossubj.htm
Diana Fitzwater, Professor/Reference Librarian
(630) 942-2078 Office: SRC 3051
Reference Desk: 630-942-3364
Ask a Librarian for Research Help
C.O.D. Library web site http://www.cod.edu/library
STUDENT SURVEY FORM
Updated July 2009