The Military - Industrial Complex Research Guide
Table of Contents
(separate audio version)
"What is the Military - Industrial Complex?" Christopher Ball History News Network.
Look in the following catalogs for government publications, books,
videos, Internet sites, maps, and other types of audiovisual items:
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what COD uses to shelve its books).
Some appropriate reference books are also included with each
section of Internet sites listed below.
Other Related C.O.D. Library Research Guides
Civil Liberties, Constitution of the U.S., Controversial Topics, Declassified Government Documents, Economics, Government, Media and Politics, Peace Studies, Political Science
You must have a valid College of DuPage library
card to access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCOhost) (1990-present) Magazines and journals.
Air University Library's Index to Military Periodicals (AULIMP).
- Blackwell Synergy. This is an index of articles published in journals that are printed by the Blackwell company. A wide variety of topics and journals are covered, but you only get bibliographic citations, no full-text articles. You can select a particular subject area to search in, or you can select a specific journal to search in by clicking on the broad subject, then selecting a small subject area from that next page, then selecting the particular journal title on the third page. You can move through the categories by clicking on the plus sign [+] to the left of the category name.
Researcher (Nov. 1991-present).Full-text articles covering
topics of current interest and controversy.
- FindArticles.com. Citations to millions of journal articles.
- Foreign Relations/Diplomatic History/International Relations index of recent articles, no full-text.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- H-NET Scholarly book reviews.
- History Study Center.
- Homeland Security Digital Library (HSDL). Access to citations and the full-text of thousandss of articles and official government reports. ON CAMPUS ACCESS ONLY. Click here for a description of the contents.
- IngentaConnect. This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most are not available as full-text online items.
- JSTOR: Scholarly Journals Archive of Older Issues.
- Military and Government Collection of articles.
New York Times
(ProQuest) (1980's-present).Full-text of four major national
newspapers including the New York Times.
- Open Access Journals Directory (free full-text journal articles)
- Project MUSE. This database provides citations and abstracts only.
Wall Street Journal
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
of the Difference between Journals and Magazines .
Identifying Peer - Reviewed Scholarly Journals, Trade Publications, and Magazines (from ProQuest).
to Read a Research Study Article.
Online Text Resources
Annual industrial capabilities report to Congress. U.S. Department of Defense.
Civilian contractors on the battlefield:
a partnership with commercial industry or recipe for failure? Robert M. Friedman. U.S. Army War College Strategy Research Report 2002.
a means to transform the defense industrial base. Richard D. Hansen. U.S. Army War College Strategy Research Report 2003.
Corporate welfare for weapons makers:
the hidden costs of spending on defense and foreign aid. William D. Hartung. The CATO Institute 1999.
Defense Industrial Base Capabilities Study: Protection. U.S. Department of Defense 2003.
Defense Industry Initiative on Business Ethics and Conduct (DII). Defense Industry Initiative.
Defense Manufacturing in 2010 and Beyond: Meeting the Changing Needs of National Defense. U.S. National Research Council 1999.
Defense Procurement Strategy for a Globalized Industry. Mark A. McLean. U.S. Army War College Strategy Research Paper 2005.
contractors engage in varied international alliances : report to the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member, Subcommittee on Readiness and Management Support, Committee on Armed Services, U.S. Senate. U.S. General Accounting Office 2000.
"Eisenhower's Warning: The Military - Industrial Complex Forty Years Later." William D. Hartung. World Policy Journal Vol.18, no.1, Spring 2001 .
The Emotional Base of America's Military - Industrial Complex. Stephen B. Wickman. National Defense University Seminar April 24, 2003.
Equipping Tomorrow's Military Force: Integration of Commercial and Military Manufacturing in 2010 and Beyond. U.S. National Research Council 2002.
An examination of the defense industrial base's ability to support the Defense Department at war while transforming. James R. Ralph. U.S. Army War College 2004.
Foreign sources of supply:
assessment of the United States defense industrial base. U.S. Department of Defense 2004.
Going Global? U.S. Government Policy and the Defense Aerospace Industry. RAND Corp. 2002.
The Impact of Defense Spending on Nondefense Engineering Labor Markets: A Report to the National Academy of Engineering (1989)
Industry Studies. U.S. Industrial College of the Armed Forces.
Military Base Closures: Socioeconomic Impacts. Congressional Research Service 2005.
"The Military - Industrial Complex Myth." Air Force Magazine Online Vol.87, no.10, Oct.2004.
Munitions Manufacturing: A Call for Modernization. U.S. National Research Council 2002.
Opportunities in Biotechnology for Future Army Applications. U.S. National Research Council 2001.
The place of the defense industry in national systems of innovation. Judith Reppy, ed. Cornell University Peace Studies Program 2000.
Report of the Defense Science Board Task Force on Antitrust Aspects of Defense Industry Consolidation. U.S. Department of Defense 1994.
Review of the Future of the U.S. Aerospace Infrastructure and Aerospace Engineering Disciplines to Meet the Needs of the Air Force and the Department of Defense. U.S. National Research Council 2001.
Seeking nontraditional approaches to collaborating and partnering with industry. Bruce Held. RAND Corp. 2002.
The Transatlantic Defense Industrial Base Restructuring Scenarios and Their Implications. Terrence R. Gray. U.S. Army Strategic Studies Institute April 2005.
Transformation and the defense industrial base:
a new model. Robbin F. Laird. U.S. Center for Technology and National Security Policy 2003.
United States Foreign Military Sales Strategy:
Coalition Building or Protecting the Defense Industrial Base? Michael N. Beard. U.S. Air Force, Air War College 1997.
U.S. Defense Industrial Base: Threats from Globalization. Raoul C. Cordeaux. U.S. National War College 1991.
United States Government
Selected Items in the C.O.D. Library General Collection
Weapons grade : how modern warfare gave birth to our high-tech world.
Arsenal of World War II : the political economy of American warfare, 1940-1945
Military transformation and the defense industry after next : the defense industrial implications of network-centric warfare. UA 18.U5 D65 2002
What every American should know about who's really running the world : the people, corporations, and organizations that control our future. HN 49.P6 R67 2005
The new nuclear danger : George W. Bush's military-industrial complex.
Military expenditures and economic growth. UA 17 .M554 2001
The globalized war economy." In: New and old wars : organized violence in a global era. U 240 .K34 2001
National security assessment of the high performance explosives and explosive components industries : a report for the U.S. Department of the Navy.
Virtuous war : mapping the military-industrial-media-entertainment network.
U 21.2 .D347 2001
Fortress America : the American military and the consequences of peace.
Assessing the potential for civil-military integration : selected case studies.
Arming our allies : cooperation and competition in defense technology
. UA 23 .A698 1990
The rise and fall of the great powers : economic change and military conflict from 1500 to 2000. D 210 .K46 1987
Defense spending and the economy. HJ 9147 .F68x
The global politics of arms sales. HD 9743 .A2 P5
Arms, industry, and America. UA 23 .D28 1971
The lonely warriors; case for the military-industrial complex. HC 110 .D4 B38
Report from wasteland; America's military-industrial complex. HC 110 .D4 P76 1970
Peace and the war industry. HC 110 .D4 B67 1970
The economy of death. UA 23 .B334 1969
The defense sector and the American economy. UA 23 .J3
Defense and disarmament; the economics of transition. HC 110 .D4 B6 1969
Report of the Committee on the Economic Impact of Defense and Disarmament. HC110.D4 A5 1965
Macanich Arts Center (MAC), College of DuPage Glen Ellyn Campus, 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.
MAC Box Office: 630-942-4000.
C.O.D. College Lecture Series/International Education Office: 630-942-3078
SONY's website for the documentary.
BBC Interview with Director Eugene Jarecki
"Rolling Stone" movie review.
"Rotten Tomatos" links to reviews.
Evaluating Web Sites
The Library can obtain copies of articles or books from other libraries
for you. Inquire at the Reference Desk. You may also consult journal
title lists from other libraries in the area.
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
(630) 942-2279, FAX (630) 858-8757
Office: SRC 3035