Sudan - "Lost Boys" Research Guide
Use the catalogs below to locate print and audio-visual materials.
- COD Library Catalog : For
items located in the COD Library. To find printed atlases, do
an advanced keyword search like this: ATLAS AND name of location
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what COD uses to shelve its books).
These books are in the reference collection on the first floor
of the Library.
A List of other Library Reference Books about
- Abandoning the Persecuted: Victims of Terrorism and Oppression Barred from Asylum. (Human Rights First, 2006)
- American Foreign Policy Toward the Sudan: From Isolation to Engagement. (2003)
- Child Soldiers: Implications for U.S. Forces. (U.S. Marine Corps, 2002) There is also a paper copy up in the General collection at call number UB 418 .B 69 B 67 2002 .
- Children of Conflict: Child Soldiers. (BBC)
- Endangered Children of Northern Uganda. (Congressional Hearing, 2006)
- The Foresaken: Case Studies of the Internally Displaced. (Brookings Institution, 1998)
- Guide to the Optional Protocol on the Involvement of Children in Armed Conflict. (UNICEF, 2003)
- Invisible Stakeholders: Children and War in Africa . (2005)
- Orphans of Conflict: Caring for the Internally Displaced. (U.S. Institute of Peace, 2005)
- Peacemaking and Peacebuilding in Eastern Sudan. (U.S. Institute of Peace, 2006)
- Protecting Two Million Internally Displaced: The Successes and Shortcomings of the African Union in Darfur .
- Report of the United Nations Secretary-General on Children and Armed Conflict in the Sudan. (2006)
- Sudan: Consolidating Peace while Confronting Genocide. (U.S. Congressional Hearing, 2005)
- Uganda, Stolen Children:
Abduction and Recruitment in Northern Uganda. (Human Rights Watch, 2003) A paper copy is also available in the Library's General collection, at call number HV 6574 .U 33 B 42 2003.
- The Utility and Consequences of Using Impressed Child Soldiers in Africa's Contemporary Wars. (2000)
Related C.O.D. Library Research Guides
Please be sure to have your library
available before you use these databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- Academic Search Premier (1984-) An index of over 3000 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas. Provides references, abstracts, and sometimes the full-text of articles.
- African Geopolitics. Free online journal.
- Blackwell Synergy. This is an index of articles published in journals that are printed by the Blackwell company. A wide variety of topics and journals are covered, but you only get bibliographic citations, no full-text articles. You can select a particular subject area to search in, or you can select a specific journal to search in by clicking on the broad subject, then selecting a small subject area from that next page, then selecting the particular journal title on the third page. You can move through the categories by clicking on the plus sign [+] to the left of the category name.
- Electronic Collections Online (ECO). This service provides citations only to thousands of journal articles.
- FindArticles.com. Citations to millions of journal articles.
- Foreign Relations/Diplomatic History/International Relations index of recent articles, no full-text.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- IngentaConnect. This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most are not
- JSTOR: Scholarly Journals Archive of Older Issues.
- Military and Government Collection of articles.
- Open Access Journals Directory (free full-text journal articles)
- Periodical Abstracts. This database has both citations and some full-text content for thousands of journal articles.
- Project Muse. This service provides citations to quality academic journal articles.
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
- Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
- Explanation of the Difference Between Magazines and Journals
- How to Read a Research Article.
Maps for Your Research Projects / Papers / Reports, etc.
For maps that you can copy or print off to go with your research papers, you can always look in our multitude of encyclopedias and atlases, in both the Reference and General collections. In addition, you can take a look at these items as well:
- African History on File. Reference DT 20 .A 6194 1994.
- Geography on File. Reference G 1021 .F 25 1991.
- Historical Maps on File. Reference G 1030 .M 37 2002.
- Outline Maps on File. Reference G 1046 .A 1 F 3 2002.
- Maps on File. Reference G 1021 .M 3.
- INTERNET SITES
- Children and Armed Conflict unit at the University of Essex.
- Country Background
Notes: Sudan from the U.S. State Department.
- Country Information and Statistics, from World Audit.org.
- Country Reports.org. A collection of cultural, historical, statistical, and geographic information about countries.
- Country Statistics and Reports from the Population Reference Bureau
Studies - Area Handbooks: Sudan (Library of Congress, textbooks on countries)
- Digital Archive for Sudan.
- Forced Migration Online: A World of Information on Human Displacement.
- Geography Network. Online access to maps, data, organizations, reports, and other information.
- Global Map Projector. Projects maps onto a globe.
- Human Rights Watch
American Council for Voluntary International Action. This is a coalition of more than 160 humanitarian organizations working on disaster relief, refugee-assistance and sustainable development programs worldwide.
Data Base http://www.census.gov/ftp/pub/ipc/www/idbnew.html
- International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Migration Information Sources.
- Migration Policy Institute Information page.
- Nationmaster. You can use this site to find statistics and make charts.
and Demography Sites from the Librarian's Index to the Internet
- Rankings of Countries by democratic development, press freedoms, human rights, rule of law, corruption, civil liberties, economic freedom, from World Audit.org.
- United Nations http://www.un.org
- Watchlist on Children and Armed Conflict: Country Reports.
- World Audit.org. Provides rankings of countries by many different subjects.
- The World Bank.
Reference Desk: 630-942-3364
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
Phone: (630) 942-2279 , FAX (630) 858-8757
Office: SRC 3035