Peace Studies Research Guide
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what COD uses to shelve its books).
Other Nearby Public and Academic Libraries
Other Related C.O.D. Library Research Guides
Declassified Government Documents,
Genocide and Human Rights,
Global Studies Resources,
The Media and Politics,
The Military - Industrial Complex
Social / Demographic / Economic Statistics Sources.
The Sudan / Lost Boys.
You must have a valid College of DuPage library
card to access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
- Academic Search Premier [EBSCOhost]1984 to present; 1990 to present- full text). Abstracts from nearly 3000 journals and full text for 1250 journals including general reference, education, social sciences, humanities, general science, multi-cultural studies, library and information science.
- African Geopolitics. Free online journal.
- Blackwell Synergy. This is an index of articles published in journals that are printed by the Blackwell company. A wide variety of topics and journals are covered, but you only get bibliographic citations, no full-text articles. You can select a particular subject area to search in, or you can select a specific journal to search in by clicking on the broad subject, then selecting a small subject area from that next page, then selecting the particular journal title on the third page. You can move through the categories by clicking on the plus sign [+] to the left of the category name.
Researcher (Nov. 1991-present).Full-text articles covering
topics of current interest and controversy.
- FindArticles.com. Citations to millions of journal articles.
- Foreign Relations/Diplomatic History/International Relations index of recent articles, no full-text.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies. Citations-only database from the U.S. Library of Congress.
- H-NET Scholarly book reviews.
- Homeland Security Digital Library (HSDL). Access to citations and the full-text of thousandss of articles and official government reports. ON CAMPUS ACCESS ONLY. Click here for a description of the contents.
- IngentaConnect. This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most are NOT available as full-text online items.
- JSTOR: Scholarly Journals Archive of Older Issues.
- Latin American Periodicals Tables of Contents (LAPTOC). No full-text articles.
- Military and Government Collection of articles.
- Newspapers (ProQuest) (1980's-present).Full-text of four major national
newspapers including the New York Times.
- Open Access Journals Directory (free full-text journal articles)
- Policybot. This is a database of over 17,600 public policy reports and documents, most of them full-text & free online.
- Project MUSE. This database provides citations and abstracts only.
Abstracts (1974-present). References & abstracts for
journals for political science and other related social science
- U.S. Military and Government Periodicals Index.
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
- Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
of the Difference Between Magazines and Journals
- Identifying Peer - Reviewed Scholarly Journals, Trade Publications, and Magazines (from ProQuest).
to Read a Research Study Article.
Full Text Resources
Economic Freedom of the World Report.
The Two Faces of Education in Ethnic Conflict: Towards a peacebuilding education for Children. (UNICEF, 2000)
of DuPage Political Science Program
- College of DuPage International Education Program
- Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). Provides expert commentary about world events and issues.
- Chicago Council on Global Affairs (CCGA).
- Complex Emergencies Database (CE-DAT). Contains statistical data and online reports about affected populations.
- Constitution Finder for constitutions worldwide.
- Council on Foreign Relations (CFR). Provides expert discussion of world events and issues.
- Country Information and Statistics, from World Audit.org.
- Country Reports.org. A collection of cultural, historical, statistical, and geographic information about countries.
- East European Politics.
- Facts on International Relations and Security Trends (FIRST).
- Foreign Affairs Online.
- Global Peace Index and data. From the Vision of Humanity organization.
- Government Statistics sites
- H-PEACE online discussion forum through H-NET.org.
- International Crisis Working Group.
- Just War Theory.com. Links to other resources on this philosophical/political topic.
- The National Journal Group's Policy Central. A collection of links to organizations and online publications.
- Nationmaster. You can use this site to find statistics and make charts.
- National Constitutions
- OFFSTATS: Official Statistics on the Web. Links to statistics from foreign governments.
- Peace and Justice Studies Association.
- Peace History Society.
- The Rand Corporation. A highly-respected California think-tank that provides expert analysis of a variety of government problems and operations.
- Rankings of Countries by democratic development, press freedoms, human rights, rule of law, corruption, civil liberties, economic freedom, from World Audit.org.
- Social / Demographic / Economic Statistics Sources. Subdivided into local-, county-, and state-level electronic and printed COD resources. Although developed for marketing classes, it can certainly be utilized for other purposes as well.
- Think Tanks list.
- The United Nations.
- The United Nations Humanitarian Affairs.
- The United Nations Peace and Security Section.
- United Nations
Scholars Workstation. Collection of texts, finding aids,
data sets, maps, and references to print and electronic information
concerning the activities of the United Nations. http://www.library.yale.edu/un/.
- United States Institute of Peace.
- USA.GOV. The main gateway to U.S. government web sites and online information.
- Virtual Library of Eastern Europe.
- World Audit.org. Provides rankings of countries by many different subjects.
Political Science. Keyword searching for political science
topics. A good place to start your Web searching. http://www.yahoo.com/Social_Science/Political_Science
Political Science Faculty Internet Homepages
David M. Goldberg
Carol J. Riphenburg
Library Reference Desk: 630-942-3364
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
Office: SRC 3033