Genocide and Human Rights Research Guide
Look in the following catalogs for government publications, books,
videos, Internet sites, maps, and other types of audiovisual items:
Outline of the Library of Congress Classification System (what COD uses to shelve its books).
Other Nearby Public and Academic Libraries
Some appropriate reference books are also included with each
section of Internet sites listed below.
You must have a valid College of DuPage library
card to access the electronic indexes and databases from off-campus.
- Academic OneFile (formerly Expanded Academic Index ASAP). An index to over 2500 magazines and journals covering a variety of topic areas including anthropology. This database provides references, abstracts, and many times the full-text of articles. A COD library card is required for off-campus use.
Search Premier (EBSCOhost) (1990-present) Magazines and journals.
- African Geopolitics. Free online journal.
- Blackwell Synergy. This is an index of articles published in journals that are printed by the Blackwell company. A wide variety of topics and journals are covered, but you only get bibliographic citations, no full-text articles. You can select a particular subject area to search in, or you can select a specific journal to search in by clicking on the broad subject, then selecting a small subject area from that next page, then selecting the particular journal title on the third page. You can move through the categories by clicking on the plus sign [+] to the left of the category name.
Researcher (Nov. 1991-present).Full-text articles covering
topics of current interest and controversy.
- FindArticles.com. Citations to millions of journal articles.
- Foreign Relations/Diplomatic History/International Relations index of recent articles, no full-text.
- The Free Library. A database of free magazine and journal articles.
- Google Scholar. This provides access to many free full-text articles, as well as citations to many other articles.
- H-NET Scholarly book reviews.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies. Citations-only database from the Library of Congress.
- Human Rights / Human Welfare Review Digest. This publishes summaries of research on various human rights issues.
- IngentaConnect. This is an index to millions of journal articles, book chapters, reports, and more. Most are not available as full-text online items.
- JSTOR: Scholarly Journals Archive of Older Issues.
- Latin American Periodicals Tables of Contents (LAPTOC). No full-text articles.
- Military and Government Collection of articles.
New York Times
(ProQuest) (1980's-present).Full-text of four major national
newspapers including the New York Times.
- Open Access Journals Directory (free full-text journal articles)
- Project MUSE. This database provides citations and abstracts only.
- SCIRUS. A search engine for citations to journal articles and links to web pages.
Wall Street Journal
- More COD Library journal and newspaper article databases.
Does the C.O.D. Library own the journal that I need?
of the Difference between Journals and Magazines .
Identifying Peer - Reviewed Scholarly Journals, Trade Publications, and Magazines (from ProQuest).
to Read a Research Study Article.
Intergovernmental and Non-Governmental Organizations
RELATED C.O.D. LIBRARY RESEARCH GUIDES
C.O.D. Library Books about East Timor
Map of East Timor.
Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN).
Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Background Notes on East Timor, from the U.S. State Department.
East Timor: An Annotated Directory of Internet Resources.
East Timor and U.S. Foreign Policy: Making Sausage. (2000)
East Timor Maps and Geography from About.com.
Human Rights Watch - East Timor.
The Indonesia/East Timor Documentation Project. (declassified government documents)
The International Federation for East Timor (IFET).
Media Resources Center: South and East Asia and Oceania Studies.
Oxfam Australia Community Aid to East Timor.
The Political Futures of Indonesia and East Timor. U.S. Congressional Hearing, 1999.
Public Papers of the Presidents of the U.S. (Reagan up to G.W. Bush) General J 80 .A 280.
Tapol: Campaign to Expose Human Rights Violations in Indonesia, East Timor, and Aceh.
United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific.
United Nations Transitional Administrtion in East Timor.
World Health Organization (WHO) : Timor - Leste.
C.O.D. Library Books about Kosova
Map of Kosovo.
Map of the Central Balkan Region.
Atrocities and the Humanitarian Crisis in Kosovo. U.S. Congressional Hearing, 1999.
Balkan Returns: An Overview of Refugee Returns and Minority Repatriation. (1999)
Conflict in the Former Yugoslavia: An Encyclopedia. General DR 1232 .C 66 1998.
De-Balkanizing the Balkans: Security and Stability in Southeastern Europe. (1999)
Eastern Europe: An Introduction to the People, Lands and Culture. Ref. DJK 9 .E 25 2005.
Historical Dictionary of Kosova. Reference DR 2075.6 .E 46 2004.
Human Rights Watch - Serbia.
Kosovo: Escaping the Cul-de-Sac. U.S. Institute of Peace. (1998)
Kosovo: History of a Balkan Hotspot. CIA Intelligence Brief. (1998)
Kosovo / Operation Allied Force After-Action Report, from U.S. Defense Dept. (2000)
Lawless Rule versus Rule of Law in the Balkans. U.S. Institute of Peace. (2002)
Military Intervention during the Clinton Administration: A Critical Comparison. (2003)
Military Resistance ot Humanitarian War in Kosovo and Beyond. (2000)
Peace Operations: Update on the Situation in the Former Yugoslavia. (1995)
Public Papers of President Clinton. General J 80 .A 280.
Serbia and Vietnam: A Preliminary Comparison of U.S. Decisions to Use Force. (1999)
The Turbulent Decade: Confronting the Refugee Crises of the 1990s. General Collection HV 640.3 .O 45 2005.
United Nations Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK)
U.S. Policy in the Balkans: A Hobson's Choice. (1995)
U.S. Policy in Southeast Europe: Unfinished Business in the Balkans. U.S. Congressional Hearing, 2004.
U.S. Policy towards Succession in the Balkans and Effectiveness of de facto Partition.(2001)
C.O.D. Library Books about Rwanda
Map of Rwanda and Burundi. (1996)
African Human Rights Internet Resource Centre
Confronting War Crimes in Africa. U.S. Congressional Hearing, 2004.
Historical Dictionary of Rwanda.
Background Notes on Rwanda, from the U.S. State Department
Disaster and Intervention in Sub-Saharan Africa: Learning from Rwanda. (1994)
"The Failure of the International Community to Prevent Genocide in Rwanda." (1998)
Human Rights Watch - Rwanda.
Humanitarian Assistance and Conflict in Africa. General HV 544.5 .S 6 1996.
International Red Cross in Rwanda.
Journal of Humanitarian Assistance: Rwandan After - Action Reports.
Leave None to Tell the Story: Genocide in Rwanda. (1999)
"Legitimizing Inaction Towards Genocide in Rwanda: A Matter of Misperception?" (1999)
Military Medical Operations in Sub-Saharan Africa: The DoD "Point of the Spear" for the New Century. (1997)
Public Papers of President Clinton. General J 80 .A 280.
The Reluctant Peacemaker [The U.S.]: Rwanda April 1994. (2002?)
Rwanda: Accountability for War Crimes and Genocide. 1995. U.S. Institute of Peace.
"Rwanda: Ending the Silence." (1997)
Rwanda Maps and Geography from About.com.
Rwanda's Genocide: Looking Back. U.S. Congresssional Hearing, 2004.
United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda (UNAMIR) (Oct. 1993 - March 1996)
The U.S. and the Genocide in Rwanda 1994. (Declassified government documents)
The United States and the Transformation of African Security: The African Crisis Response Initiative and Beyond. (1997)
U.S. Human Rights Policy toward Africa. (2001)
World Health Organization (WHO) - Rwanda.
Evaluating Web Sites
The Library can obtain copies of articles or books from other libraries
for you. Inquire at the Reference Desk. You may also consult journal
title lists from other libraries in the area.
Reference Desk: 630-942-3364
Dan Blewett, Reference Librarian
Office: SRC 3033
Ask a Librarian for Help