Post Arrest Risks
Officers will learn how to mitigate the risks involved with the care, custody and control pre and post arrest transport of offenders. They will learn how to raise their awareness and recognize potential dangers associated with this dangerous law enforcement mission by analyzing case examples and learning advanced restraint techniques and the legality behind proper restraining offenders under arrest. In addition, they will learn to mitigate the risks associated with hospital details when an arrestee needs to be transported to the hospital due to a medical issue. They will learn the best practices on how to deal with the hospital medical staff and hospital security staff that might unknowingly put their safety and the safety of others in jeopardy.
Students will learn the following:
- Develop proper care, custody and control during pre and post arrest
- Leave with a clear understanding of the risks involved with post arrest transports
- Learn how to better prepare for this assignment
- Learn how to mitigate the risks involved and what danger signs are apparent
- Develop a better understanding of restraint device availability outside of simple handcuffs and how handcuffs are temporary restraint devices and not designed to ensure their safety.
- The legality behind hospital detention and how to utilize best practices in this area if they find themselves tasked with guarding an arrestee in a medical setting
- Proper protocol and procedures on dealing with offenders after arrest while in their custody
- Recognizing body language and how to respond to an offender showing signs of escape or potential violence to the officer
Friday, March 2, 2017
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., $149
Homeland Security Education Center (HEC)