Technologies Used Against
Police and Prosecutors
Tuition: Tuition Free
This is a unique and eye opening class for officers and prosecutors
who want to learn more on how technology is being used to avoid or detect
their investigations. In almost every major investigations a variety
of technologies are incorporated into the investigative process. However
most officers aren't looking at what technologies their targets may
be employing. This 16 hour class will examine a number of different
technologies from Caller ID spoofing to Steganography, but from an investigating
officer's perspective. In addition, we'll look at what can be done to
mitigate the problem.
At the end of this course the students will be able to:
• Define a number of different technology terms and acronyms.
• List potential methods a target may use to avoid detection utilizing
• List potential technological methods a target may employ to
identify police officers.
• Identify and utilize a number of open source search engines.
• Explain the role of social networking sites and their implication
to law enforcement.
• Identify steps that an officer can take to better protect his
information and identity.
• Identify resources in the Law Enforcement community that an
officer can go to for additional information on investigative technology
• Discuss the techniques targets can employ to avoid or circumvent
an investigation utilizing technology.
• Discuss the techniques a target can use to gain information
about the officer.
• Describe how Caller ID works and how one can be identified even
if Blocking is employed
• Describe the purpose of privacy settings on social networking
sites and its importance to a law enforcement officer.
• Explain the importance of officers increasing their overall
awareness of the types of technology in their environment especially
when serving a warrant.
**Cancellations for this class must be received
by SLEA 35 days prior to the start of the program in order to avoid
to top of page