SERVICES 2286 | HUMAN
SERVICES 2288 | HUMAN SERVICES 2289 | HUMAN SERVICES 2290
Human Services 2289:
Individual and Group Counseling
Focused on Veteran Population
The needs of returning veterans are tremendous and training is needed to serve veterans in a variety of human service settings. This course is part of the Veterans Counseling certificate program at College of DuPage. This course will focus on Individual and group counseling techniques that promote recovery from acute stress reactions and related issues. Diagnosis and treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and acute stress disorder (ASD) will be explored. Students will learn to recognize and manage their personal response to dealing with veterans with trauma related disorders.
- Cultural context of war
- Overview of military specific topics
- Special topics which may include but are not limited to Medical issues
- Vicarious trauma
- Grief reactions
- Substance abuse
- Families of military personnel
- Understanding transition stress reactions
- Managing stress
- Tools for healthy coping
- Improving sleep
- Dealing with anger
- Reintegrating with society
- Reintegrating with family and friends
- Building resilience
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) as a treatment modality for trauma
- Pharmacological interventions for trauma
Frequently Asked Questions
Who will benefit from this course?
- Those who already work as clinicians as counselors and social workers can benefit by adding skills and credentials to work with veterans. Also, undergraduate human services students who plan to work in addictions agencies, homeless shelters, rehab facilities, and hospitals will find that understanding veterans’ needs greatly benefits them and makes them more marketable.
Are there any prerequisites?
- There are no prerequisites for this or any of the veterans courses in Human Services. Also, the courses can be taken in any sequence.
Do I have to take all of the classes?
- No. It is possible to take any number of courses in the program.
What else do I need to know about taking a course online?
- COD Online has created a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page to provide you with answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding taking an online class from College of DuPage.
Will I be able to get any extra help from the instructor if I need it?
- Absolutely. The instructor will accept e-mail 24-hours/day, 7 days/week and will respond to all queries within 72 hours.
Where can I go to get technical help for this course?
How will I access my course materials?