SERVICES 2286 | HUMAN
SERVICES 2288 | HUMAN SERVICES 2289 | HUMAN SERVICES 2290
Human Services 2287:
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
and Co-Morbid Disorders
The needs of returning veterans are tremendous and training is needed to serve veterans in a variety of human service settings. This course is part of the Veterans Counseling certificate program at College of DuPage. This course focuses on Assessment measures for military personnel, veterans, and their families. Topics include military culture, combat trauma, suicidal risk, blast-related traumatic brain injury (TBI), and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Military culture, terminology, and the deployment cycle
- Etiology and assessment of PTSD and co-morbid problems
- TBI sustained in combat
- Assessment and treatment of deployment-related depression
- Identification, prevention, and treatment of suicidal behavior
- Assessment and treatment of sleep disturbance associated with deployment
- Resources for veterans and their families
Frequently Asked Questions
Who will benefit from this course?
- Those who already work as clinicians as counselors and social workers can benefit by adding skills and credentials to work with veterans. Also, undergraduate human services students who plan to work in addictions agencies, homeless shelters, rehab facilities, and hospitals will find that understanding veterans’ needs greatly benefits them and makes them more marketable.
Are there any prerequisites?
- There are no prerequisites for this or any of the veterans courses in Human Services. Also, the courses can be taken in any sequence.
Do I have to take all of the classes?
- No. It is possible to take any number of courses in the program.
What else do I need to know about taking a course online?
- COD Online has created a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page to provide you with answers to the most commonly asked questions regarding taking an online class from College of DuPage.
Will I be able to get any extra help from the instructor if I need it?
- Absolutely. The instructor will accept e-mail 24-hours/day, 7 days/week and will respond to all queries within 72 hours.
Where can I go to get technical help for this course?
How will I access my course materials?