English 0482 - Approaches to College Reading II
This is an information sheet only, not the course syllabus.
This course focuses primarily on content area reading to prepare students for the challenges of reading in college. Students begin to read critically to determine the purpose, point of view, audience, and message conveyed by an author, to trace the development of the line of reasoning, and to identify and evaluate the rhetorical devices used to convey a point. Also includes vocabulary development and reader-response activities. This course may require student visits to the Reading Assistance Area in the Learning Commons. This course may be taken three times for credit. Blue card students only. Permit required.
Follow the instructions below to locate information on the textbook and other materials
for this course.
1. Click on myACCESS.
2. Click on Search for Credit Classes.
3. From the Term drop-down box select the term.
4. Choose your course from the Subjects drop-down menu.
5. In the Course # field, enter your course number.
6. In the Section field, enter the course section number if known.
7. From the Course Types drop-down menu select Flexible Learning.
8. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on SUBMIT.
9. Click on the Section Name and Title link.
10. Click on Click here for prices of required textbook(s) and supplies and course material information will be displayed.
Alternatively, you can visit the COD Bookstore website to find this information.
Some assignments use the following websites:
Attendance required at weekly appointment.
Students will be evaluated by one or more of the following:
- Satisfactory completion of assignments
- Performance on tests and quizzes
- Recorded reading log that shows reading time of at least 4 hours per week
- Conferences that provide feedback on student progress
- Class attendance and participation may also be a factor in evaluation.
You will receive a letter grade ("A," "B," "C," or "F,") for this course.
Student Resource Center (SRC), Room 2102
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
Fax: (630) 942-3749